Sunday, January 6, 2013

Which would raise the electric bill less, a mini heater the actual heater?

Q. i have a small 1 bedroom apartment, about 615 square feet. i don't have a lot of money and trying to use the least amount of energy. The little mini heater heats up my room just fine, but im curious as to which would raise the bill the least (leaving it on all night and day)

A. Wow... 615 square feet is about the size of my uninsulated, unheated 2 car garage as far as floor space goes. I live west of Seattle by about 25 miles in the forest lands of the Kitsap Peninsula. It rarely gets below freezing here, but it does get really cold sometimes and I have to prevent my pipes, which enter my house from underground in the garage, from freezing. I use a small space heater controlled by a thermostat set at 35 degrees, but the principle is the same as what you want to do. Only your setpoint will be higher than mine. I use a heater from a company names Pelonis. It is really really TINY in a physical sense, being about 6" by 6" by 6", but it is really BIG at converting electricity to heat in the garage. It is a combination heater. It uses ceramic heating elements which work in 2 ways, radiant heat and heating the air forced through by a fan. So, it heats things in front of it and it heats the air going through it, hence the type, a combination heater. Now, as to your bill... ALL heaters of ANY kind that use electricity are nearly 100% efficient at converting electrical energy to heat energy. There is less than 1% loss. This applies to ALL electric heaters, with NO exceptions. All heaters use electricity based on ratings of voltage and amps, which means WATTS. A heater rated at 1500 watts will do the exact same job as any other heater rated at 1500 watts, regardless of the physical appearance and will cost the exact SAME amount to run per hour of operation. For 1 hour of operation, you pay for the 1500 watt-hours used. So, physical size and shape are irrelevant. Look at the ratings in watts as that is what determines what you will pay for each hour of operation. Heaters are in 3 types, radiant, convection and a combination. Radiant is like a heat lamp, it radiates heat and objects in the beam warm to result in warm air in the room. Convection is like a radiator, with some radiating into the room as a lamp does, but mostly heating the air which rises to cause air currents to circulate the warmed air through the room, or a combination which does both. The combination heater is most effective of the three. The Pelonis heater I have is a combination type. I modified to to run the fan all the time with the heating elements controlled by the thermostat. Running a tiny fan is trivial as to cost, much like the fan in the power supply of your computer. By running the fan all the time, the window of control by the thermostat is only 1 degree instead of several. Anyway... You need to monitor TIME. Run your basic heat for a week with a device that times how long it runs for a week. Then do the same for the space heater. Do the math to see how many watts each method used and choose the smaller one as that will be the one that costs less per week to run. I COULD use my house heat to heat the garage as well as the house, but THAT would cost me MUCH more than the space heater which only runs when it is needed when the temperature in the garage gets down to 35 degree,


I am moving and need help figuring out how to send my stuff across country AZ to CT.?
Q. I have a queen size matress and a 5 piece bedroom set I would like to take with me. Does anyone know of companies that will ship small amounts or ship multable parties iteams in one truck to save $$? It is okay if it is a company that waits till the truck is full to ship it.
I have a queen size matress and a 5 piece bedroom set I would like to take with me. Does anyone know of companies that will ship small amounts or ship multable parties iteams in one truck to save $$? It is okay if it is a company that waits till the truck is full to ship it. And I have to drive my car so I can't use a U Haul
And I have to drive my car so I can't use a U Haul

A. Have you called the major moving companies? I have a friend who did something like what you're talking about. He moved only part of his furniture from Seattle to Texas. He was allowed to share a moving van with other customers. I think that he had to wait until the truck filled up like you said. He used Mayflower or United Van Lines, I think.


What are some Hawaiian Lullibies?
Q. what are some hawaiian lullabies called? I can't seem to find any on the internet. Please and Thank You!

A. By the way, the name of the song with the refrain "Where I live, there are rainbows" is actually "Hawaiian Lullaby". Oh, that song made me cry when I lived far away from Hawaii.

There is a song called "Slack-Key Lullaby", but you won't find it on the internet. It's on a rare CD that came out of a folklife festival in Seattle several years ago. I believe the performer on that track was Pekelo Cosma, out of Hana. I had a search for that one on e-Bay for months before I finally scored it. But you'll find that any slack-key album from performers like Cindy Combs, Ledward Kaapana, Ray Kane, Sonny Chillingworth, Keola Beamer, and more will have a lullaby-like quality to it.

What makes slack key or "Ki hoalu" fantastic for lulling babies and adults to sleep? There are a number of reasons. For some reason, slack-key was a secret, private art for decades. Some say that it was because the Hawaiians had given so much away and had so much taken away that they wanted to hold onto this one thing for themselves. The ways the guitars were tuned were family secrets. It's also possible the players didn't want to hear someone from another place tell them they tuned their guitars wrong.

So for most of the art's history, it was played by your papa for you at one o'clock in the morning, not in public. It tended to be a gift given to you by a loved one, not something to be performed for people who bought tickets.

Another reason it's good for sleepytime is that the chords don't resolve to mark the end of a phrase. It just kind of floats on forever, like some Celtic music, the compositions of Richard Wagner or Claude Debussy, or the theme to "Gone with the Wind". The way the guitars are tuned tends to set up sympathetic vibrations in neighboring strings, which lends even more of a dreamy feel to the music.

One of my favorite slack-key stories comes from the late Sonny Chillingworth, about a couple of young lovers on Molokai, whose parents didn't like each other. They couldn't date openly, so the young man used to sneak up to his girlfriend's bedroom window when she wasn't there. He'd use a needle to tie one end of a thread to her metal window screen. He would unwind the thread a good distance, and tie the other end to his guitar.

When she came into the room, he would play his guitar, and the sympathetic vibrations would send gentle music into her room through the screen. When he was finished, she would follow the thread to meet him in the paddocks. The two of them were Sonny Chillingworth's grandparents!


Best place to live in Seattle?
Q. I am looking to relocate to Seattle to attend UW as soon as possible. I am looking for a townhouse within my price range (Max. $250,000). I will have a car but would prefer to use mass transit to attend my classes. Also, I am in my late thirties so places near younger noise-makers are a deal-breaker. :-P

Any suggestions would be highly helpful.

Thanks

Rich

A. Townhomes are a newer style of construction here - you won't find many of them in-city, and those you do find are going to be newer (and usually more expensive).

At $250,000, most of what you are going to be finding in that price range will either be a condo (no yard), or will be much further out of town.

For attending the UW, I'd focus on neighborhoods or towns north of Lake Union. It helps you avoid downtown traffic and the bridges.

Neighborhoods to avoid - the immediate U district. Near Broadway on Capitol Hill, Wallingford near 45th.

I suggest doing a search with your pricing parameters at a web site that pulls from the multiple listing service - www.windermere.com and www.johnlscott.com both do and are pretty intuitive to use. Set your maximum budget and your desired amenities (# of bedrooms and bathrooms etc.), and see what comes up.

If you are willing to look further out of town, you'll find newer housing including townhomes in towns like Mountlake Terrace or Lynnwood to the north. There will be buses that drop you at 45th and I 5 (about a 10 minute walk to campus) that you can get from the park and rides in either town.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Which would raise the electric bill less, a mini heater the actual heater?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment