Tuesday, January 8, 2013

How do I paint wood furniture so that it will not flake?

Q. I have an old wooden bedroom set. (I doubt that it is solid wood). I would like to get rid of the oak color and paint it white... How I do this without the paint flaking/scratching off? I have a headboard, chest, dresser, and bookshelf.

A. Preparation is everything when rehabilitating wooden (solid or MDF) furniture.

The wax will have to removed. A weak ammonia solution would do that. Wear goves and have a window open for ventilation. You should rinse this off with clear water and wipe with many clean rags. TSP dissolved in water also works and also requires rinsing.

I painted a dining room sideboard from the 1950's and an Edwardian gramophone stand last summer. The sideboard was in very rough shape because the previous owners had let the surface become quite dry. I doubt if it had seen wax for 30 years, when I got it. I only had to wet wipe it down before priming.

The gramophone cabinet was a walnut-veneered piece that had to have the wax build up removed prior to priming,

I went to the hardware store and asked what kind of primer would have the least amount of stink and be the most effective. I think that I used a shellac-based for the gramophone cabinet and whatever latex primer that I had laying around for the sideboard. Shellac-based primer dries in minutes.

Since the paints were very deep colours, I applied two coats of a semi-gloss latex. When that was dry, I applied two coats of water-based clear urethane.

The finshed products are now a stereo cabinet (the sideboard) and a liquor cabinet with a light when you lift the old gramophone lid. They take pride of place in our living room.

My mother painter a dresser for me and my sister which never once flaked. It did chip from a few knocks when we moved, but that was carelessness and had nothing to do with the paint.

We live on a well and septic tank. As a result, we do not clean our painting tools. Therefore, I use inexpensive but appropriate rollers and brushes.


How can I fix a wobbly bed-frame (sleigh-bed style)?
Q. I recently purchased a used bedroom set, and it is all fine except for that the bedframe is slightly wobbly. This is due to the screw being loose that is holding the mounting hardware at the end of the side board. The screw is on a metal bracket type deal that uses hooks to attach itself to the input area of the headboard. I would assume just using a longer screw to hold in the metal piece might work, but maybe there is a better way? Please let me know if you have any better ideas on how this could work.

A. try adding a new screw or tightening the one thats loose


Does Rooms to Go delivery set up everything for you when they deliver it ?
Q. I plan on purchasing a bedroom set and I wanted to know if they set it up for me or just deliver..

A. Well it all depends on the delivery crew you get. I often have to go out on service calls for retailers because the drivers were in too much of a hurry to spend an extra 5-10 minutes tightening something or setting something up. The other problem that is common is that the delivery team will deliver the furniture but not have all the necessary hardware (screws, bolts, etc) to complete the assembly and then you end up waiting for parts to be sent and then have the furniture assembled. With a bedroom set it is common to be missing mirror brackets if you have a dresser that is supposed to have the mirror sitting on the dresser itself.

Hopefully you will not have any issues but just be aware that it is more uncommon now to NOT have any issues from delivery of furniture no matter whom you buy it from.


Websites for bedroom furniture?
Q. I want new bedroom furniture. I like dark colors, modern, simple, teenager style, and comfortable. Do you know any websites where they might sell furniture like this. It doesn't have to be everything I listed, but pretty close. I'd also like it if the website had a desk that matches the bedroom set. Nothing too pricey (under $2,500) and pretty good quality. Thank You!

Also, if you know a website where I can find accessories (lamps, sheets, ect.), then pleas list! Thanks again.

A. There are lots of websites with lots of product. The problem is the price doesn't always match the quality. If you plan on only keeping your furniture for 1 to 5 years and treat your furniture with kid gloves Ikea may be a good choice, however, ask anyone that has had Ikea furniture for a while or attempted to move it. It tends to auto destruct upon moving. Those cam lock type assembly hardware just don't like to be moved. What makes it fairly inexpensive is what makes it poor quality. The whole thing is about freight and warehouse space. This should NOT YOUR PROBLEM. In my humble opinion, virtually all assemble yourself furniture is inferior quality mostly made of particleboard filled with formaldehyde. My family and I have been in the furniture business both manufacturing and retailing for over 60 years. Our retail store went on line almost 20 years ago. I understand both manufacturing and retailing. I sell what I make every day of the week in my store. Consider checking out a local store with less than 5 to 10 stores. in my experience the larger the chain, the poorer the quality and service. Also, in this difficult housing market, many both large and small stores are struggling and over 20,000 retail furniture stores both large and small have gone out of in business in the last 18 months. PAY BY CREDIT CARD for a little protection. I have noticed fairly good quality furniture in Costco. In the STORE not on line. It is very seasonal for them and the selection is very limited but well priced and good quality. Also please check out our website and blog @ www.barnfurniture.com





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How do I paint wood furniture so that it will not flake?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment