Sunday, January 6, 2013

What are the Good and Bad things about living in San Diego?

Q. I live on the East Coast and I'm thinking about moving to San Diego for college and I wanted to know: What are the good things about living there? What are the bad things about living there? And any other additional information that you may have about San Diego would be a great help.Thanks!

A. The answerer joana is obviously negatively biased and probably racist.
SOOO many good things about San Diego. It is expensive and there is traffic, but San Diego is Less expensive than New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Orange County. Its also got less traffic than those.
People are less fake here than most places and usually less racist (except Joana) It can be pricy, but dont move out here alone, set up room mates or bring some with you. A one bedroom apartment will go for around $800-1000, but 2 bed room apartments are usually just a hundred dollars more. Don't make the mistake of thinking "I need to live on the beach" You can move 10-20 minutes away and pay less.
Also, dont let anyone on here tell you "the further North in San Diego you move the better." There are really good areas of San Diego all over the county.
Another tip. Get accepted to college first. Then (unless you are going for the dorm, which might be better) find an apartment close enough to go to school. Remember san diego is a big county. You dont want to live in Escondido if you are going to SDSU. Try to move within 10 minutes drive from school. But if you move too close the cost will go up too. Most apartments that are "walking distance" from school are pretty expensive. San Diego is the kind of neighborhood that your gonna want a car.
Also, if you ask any more questions, BE SPECIFIC!!!
ex. If you are looking for an inexpensive apartment. say "where in san diego can i find an apartment for around this much..."
Instead of "where can i find a cheap apartment in san diego"
Say a price range.
any ways Good luck.
If you have specific questions feel free to e mail me.


What is the most cost-effective way to build/run an indoor greenhouse?
Q. I live in a small apartment in San Francisco. There is one tiny East-facing window in my bedroom, and I can't leave it open during the day because I live in the ghetto. All the other residents in the building are old, and like it warm and dry, so that's what the room is like 24/7. But I'm used to having lots of nice green plants around, so I want to build an indoor greenhouse to grow plants. Note: I don't want to grow pot, just interesting, colorful tropical plants, so suggestions for the bomb-ass high-yield hydroponic equipment doesn't help me. What is the most cost-effective way to do this? I need to build a set-up in which I can maintain high humidity, good ventilation, and lights, without trashing the environment or my wallet (I'm willing to invest some money and a lot of time :) I'd also like to have a separate section for cacti. What can I say, I grew up with a big garden in San Diego in which you could grow anything, so I'm spoiled.

A. Lighting is key?
That is where you could spend the most money.
And then the you should be concerned about ventilation
Then i would be concerned about fire.
Most green houses usually end up destroyed by fire.
Lighting could be too hot and there may be not enough AIR space with in the green house, materials get hot and melt, thus fire.
I would consider building it out of wood. You could probably, go to a glass place and they could make you and aquariam like green house. Rig up a door such that you have access?
Just silicone glass panes perpendicular to each other, such that you make a box? Building a wooden frame would make it easier to open and close, and to make it big too?
good luck


What do you set your heat on during the winter?
Q. Last winter, the gas was KILLING me!!!
I live in a 1300 sq ft APARTMENT and my gas bills were $300/mo. during the colder months.
I REFUSE to deal with that this winter...
I am going to invest in 3 space heaters and set my temperature to...??
Please help me???!!!

A. Just know that space heaters use a lot of electricity. And I mean a LOT.

I haven't had central air since I moved out of my parents house 24 years ago. Granted, most of the time I've lived here in San Diego, but it can get very cold here during the winter. I got dinged big time for using the single wall heater [gas] two years ago, so last year I got one good space heater.

There's nothing wrong with having cold areas in your home -- you don't have to keep everything toasty warm. What I do is close off all interior doors, use the space heater in the living room during the evening, then take it into the bedroom. You can get a good unit that weighs less than ten pounds -- check out Consumer Reports.

Good luck.


Do I have to help pay for child support?
Q. My husband has been served child support papers and we live in California. The daughter in question is 15 years old and lives in another state. He is in the process of setting up a paternity test with the court. If in fact he is the father, will he be responsible for the last 15 years of back pay? Also, he has been out of work for 3 years and I have been supporting us financially. Will I be responsible for helping him pay child support?

A. First, do listen to the first poster, she has no idea what she's talking about. In 1980, a young Navy ROTC student was attending UCLA. One day he was asked by his girlfriend what he thought about becoming a father. He said he hadn't about as he was too young to be a father and had his Navy career to think about.

The next week she quit school, moved back to her parents in northern California, and refused to ever talk to him again. He never knew what he did wrong, until 15 years later.

As a Navy Commander, one day he went to the on-base bank in San Diego to cash a check, only to learn his accounts were frozen due to child support arrears. The problem with that is he was married with four boys at home, and no others kids, or so he thought.

That night he was served with a retroactive child support order for $85,000 for a 15 year old daughter. They had frozen his accounts so that he wouldn't try to hide any money. After confirming that he was the father, they drained all the accounts, including joint accounts with his wife.

They lost everything they owned and they attached his gross, pretax income, for 55% for his child support and to pay any remaining balance. He had to move his family out of a four bedroom apartment into a two bedroom on-base apartment. His child support payment was based on his income, 20% of his wife's income, and the estimated commercial retail value of the on-base apartment he had to move his family in to.

All that because he told a girlfriend, whom he did not know was pregnant at the time, that he was too young to be a father. She took it as a rejection of her and the baby.

You're fortunate in that this is an out-of-state case, otherwise you may be really hurting now. You need to start taking steps to separate your assets from his right now, before the paternity is established.

There's a lot he needs to learn to be prepared for what's coming. Go to Dads House in Yahoo Groups. There's an educational manual in the file section that can teach you what you need to know. Take the time to learn what you can and should do.

He might also check to see if the state the mother lives in has an alienation of affection law, and sue her for waiting so long.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/DadsHouse/
California Child Support Calculator
http://previews.tinyurl.com/Calif-CS-Calculator

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/
http://www.fathersandfamilies.org/
http://www.parentalalienation.org/





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What are the Good and Bad things about living in San Diego?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment