Thursday, December 20, 2012

How much should I sell my bedroom furniture for?

Q. I have a black 7 piece queen size bedroom set with two night stands, a dresser and a mirror that I purchased for $1600 about 16 months ago. I also paid $600.00 for some pillow top mattresses. Everything looks brand new. Someone offered $700. How much should I sell it for? Mattresses included.

A. The best answer is whatever you can get for it, I think $700 isn't a good price for it, but it's most probably close to what it's worth at most.

When you buy new, you're paying for the over heads as well. If you place an add in a free online site saying what you have is new or bought 2 weeks ago, you'd be very lucky to get 70% of that $2200 you paid for it. Reason being that buying from a store you have in general an amount of consumer protection for the most part.

What most people don't understand, is that the store bought that product or those goods for a fraction of what they sold it for, to cover their over heads. My Ex used to work for a big department store, I was surprised to find out that some items have a 500% mark up, I'm not saying there was a 500% mark up on your goods, but I'm guessing at least 100% if not more.


What's the best way to go about selling furniture?
Q. I'm thinking about selling my furniture before I move. I have tons of stuff: queen bedroom set, trundle bed, desk, dinning room table, kitchen table, couches, coffee tables and end tables.

A. Selling furniture is really tricky, because you will have to ask much less than the furniture is worth, and then not even get the asking price.
Sometimes it is better to donate it to a non profit, then you will get a tax write off that might be even more than the cash you would get from selling it.
If you do want to sell it, give yourself plenty of time......it is hard to sell things in a rush.
I would suggest using Craigslist.org

Be sure to take pictures of all the things you are selling, then put them on a photo sharing site, then include a link to it in your craigslist add. Also include a couple of photos in the ad itself.

Next, be prepared to have your time wasted by non serious inquiries, people who stand you up (say they will come to buy the furniture, then don't), people who want to haggle you down to an unrealistically low price, and worst, people who have unrealistic expectations, like for you to ship it to their house.

Be very clear in your expectations: cash only, pick up only.

Also, don't be afraid to throw in a freebie or two.... for example, if someone buys your couch, throw in an end table or a lamp.

Selling furniture is hard, time consuming, and you might not sell all of it.

So keep your expectations realistic, give yourself plenty of time, and don't let yourself get screwed.


Should I get my 3 year old a full or queen bed?
Q. I don't know what to do, my husband says to go for the queen cause it's almost the same price, we saw this queen bedroom set at easylife for 600 bucks and the full bedroom set would be about 1100. Wat do you guys think?
i bought him a spongebob bedding set but it's in full.

A. Our 2 year old has a Queen bed and LOVES it! Plus you will never need to upgrade the bed again as they get older. Get the Queen!!! You won't regret it!! =)


What is a pillowtop mattress and a eurotop mattress?
Q. I am looking for a memory foam mattress for a queen size bedroom set. I see most furniture stores that I look at selling pillow top or euro top mattress. Can you describe what these are? Any recommendation to buy a good and comfortable bedroom set for older people?

A. Your question and what you say you are looking for are completely different. Memory foam mattresses are a completely diferent breed of mattress. Some find them amazing; others, not so much. One memory foam that has done really well in the way of not getting a lot of complaints is the Dynasty memory foam mattress. It's also cheaper than a lot of the memory foam mattresses on the market. I have been thinking about making it my next mattress but am not sure yet how I feel about the memory foam. The following is where you can find some more information on the Dynasty:

http://www.qmattresses.com/category/brands-of-mattresses/dynasty-mattresses/

My suggestion - do your research online, not at the stores. Too many buyers get blindsided by salesmen. Either the salesmen doesn't care about anything except commission, others just aren't trained to handle customer needs.

My suggestion





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How much should I sell my bedroom furniture for?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

1 comment:

  1. How much should I sell my california king bed with pillowtop mattress and boxspring included plus six drawer vanity dresser w/ mirror, two drawers each night tables, and six drawer standing dresser all in dark mahogany wood with some minor knicks but in good shape? I bought this bedroom set 6 years ago for $3,500. Also, is it better to sell piece by piece or as a set?

    ReplyDelete