Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Somebody please tell me the pros and cons of having particle board furniture in your home.?

Q. I found a really nice bedroom set that is made of particle board. I've only owned real wood furniture but I love this bedroom set that I've found. What are the pros and cons of having particle board furniture in your home?

A. Particle board is not as strong as real wood. The laminate that they use to cover the particle board scratches and chips easily. Underneath the laminate does not look good, so when you scratch the laminate you will see the ugly particle board underneath it.

The pros of particle board are that it is cheaper than real wood. It is usually lighter that real wood. Finally, we have a particle board bedroom set. We've been waiting for all the negatives to appear on our bedroom set. We've been waiting for 7 years! We've moved 5 times. Our bedroom set has gone up and down 3 flights of stairs by movers and friends. We dont take very good care of it, and it has lasted forever. We're really sick of our bedroom set, but it just wont go bad. The worst that has happened is that one of the bottom drawers cracked. The part was actually thin solid wood. We have a few scratches, but nothing major. Good luck with whatever you choose.


Has anyone known a lifetime crib to actually last through the three stages?
Q. I just purchased the Babi Italia Lifetime crib and bedroom set, It looks amazing, and can't wait to get it in and set it up. But I want to know if a lifetime crib actually will last 18 plus years. Any advice?

A. If yours are anything like my kids were I wish you the best of luck with that. Sometimes I think I'm lucky they didn't break everything in the house. :)

Buzzillions has lots of good reviews though:

http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_314669_babi_italia_espresso_pinehurst_lifetime_reviews

Treat it like you would any other good furniture. Clean and protect it. Oil and reseal the wood, tighten screws, fix loose or broken/cracked parts, and check it for wear regularly.

Good luck!


How Do You Remove Cigarette Smoke Smell From Furniture?
Q. I inherited a very nice bedroom set. But, the person who gave it to me was a heavy smoker. I would like to know what I can use to get ride of the smoke smell? Although I believe the outside of the pieces are sealed, the insides are not.
Just to clarify, this is all wood furniture, no upholstery is involved!

A. It's an Urban Legend that Febreze is hazardous to pets. Use it on upholstery only, not wood. Old news from 1998, so disregard that hazardous to pets thing all together - that is false. You can read about it on snopes, the urban legends reference page:
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/febreze.asp

Wood will absorb odors without a doubt, so the parts have been finished will need a good cleaning, maybe 3 good cleanings, to get the years of nicotine off. I would start with cleaning it with Murphy's Oil soap, the directions are right on the bottle. It smells good and is an excellent wood cleaner. You dilute it with water and it's very gentle stuff.

If any of the furniture is upholstered, you can have that professionally steam cleaned to get rid of the smell. The same people that clean carpets can come to your home and clean anything else that is upholstered, so you might want to call and ask them about it.

Over time the smell does fade, but you'll have to keep up with the Murphy's oil soap to keep the wood nice and clean. I used it on wood floors and furniture. Go ahead and try febreeze on upsholstery, but keep it off the wood.

Best of luck to you.


Where can I buy a kit to resilver a mirror?
Q. I was given an old bedroom set and the mirror is in "bad" shape. I can't find any kits to resilver the mirror. Does anyone know where I can find one online or a store that sells them in the worcester area?

A. You will need Rochelle Salts, Ammonia and Silver Nitrate, lots of distilled water and lots of elbow-grease. Cleaning is the most difficult part of the entire task.

You can make or purchase Rochelle Salts, you must purchase the Silver Nitrate and the Ammonia. Neither is a controlled substance. Silver Nitrate is not all that cheap, but you won't need much.

Otherwise, the links are below.

I have used exactly this process to re-silver some panels on an old Sparton 558 radio. With care, it works very nicely. The key, again, is cleanliness. When you are done, several coats of lacquer on top will prevent the silver from oxidizing - you should be good for 75 years or so.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Somebody please tell me the pros and cons of having particle board furniture in your home.?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment