Friday, January 11, 2013

What colors and themes go well with oak and dark green?

Q. I am planning on moving into a pretty small apartment with my boyfriend and we're planning on using his bedroom set which includes a nightstand and two dressers. They are oak with a dark green finish on the top. I want our bedroom to still look open and light and somewhat feminine. Too many ideas out there for dark green would make the room a cave so I need some ideas to make it look like the perfect mix of man/woman without washing out the light and space. Any ideas?

A. The main thing you need to do is find bedding that lightens the dark green up. See if you like any of these:
http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6E.aspx?DeptID=59474&CatID=59514&GrpTyp=ENS&ItemID=164e636&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CMID=59474|59483&Fltr=&Srt=&QL=F&IND=74&cmVirtualCat=&CmCatId=59474|59483|59514
http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6E.aspx?DeptID=59474&CatID=59514&GrpTyp=ENS&ItemID=14fa8db&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CMID=59474|59483&Fltr=&Srt=&QL=F&IND=79&cmVirtualCat=&CmCatId=59474|59483|59514
http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6E.aspx?DeptID=59474&CatID=59514&GrpTyp=ENS&ItemID=164e64d&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CMID=59474|59483&Fltr=&Srt=&QL=F&IND=116&cmVirtualCat=&CmCatId=59474|59483|59514
http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6E.aspx?DeptID=59474&CatID=59514&GrpTyp=ENS&ItemID=14626d5&attr
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=294033&CategoryID=42305
http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=297396&CategoryID=7521
http://www.allmodern.com/Estrella-in-Pure-White-Bedding-Series-INH1397.html
http://www.allmodern.com/Amanda-Green-Duvet-Collection-BLL1173.html
http://www.allmodern.com/Cove-Cream-and-Moss-Duvet-Collection-AHM1141.html
http://www.home-decorating-co.com/croscill-hibiscus-bedding.html

I think I like the first one from Penney's best. It's not tooooo feminine but it will lighten up the space. If your boyfriend doesn't like what you choose, be sure to tell him that in order for you to be happy and relaxed in the bedroom, you need to decorate it and he does want you happy in the bedroom, doesn't he? LOL


What kind of paintings for bedroom with simple traditional furniture in light oak?
Q. The bedroom set is plain, but has a traditional oak feel and tri=fold mirror.
Any ideas for an imagery theme, other than roses/flowers?
My man has no particular ideas for this room, so I don't have much input there...
Thanks!

A. A collection of family photographs in ornate oak frames might be nice. Children's artwork can also be framed to add a happy feeling to the room. You can frame just about anything. Frame several pieces of color coordinating fabric and hang in a cluster on the wall. Go to a flea market to scout for old picture frames of various sizes and hang in a group, one inside of the other. Or, take one large frame and hang on the wall. Paint your own picture directly on the wall inside the frame. Check out this web site for more bedroom ideas.


I'm buying new bedroom furniture, what kind of wood should I look for?
Q. Hi, I don't know much about furniture other than saying something is cute or not, but I was told by a friend that I should stick with solid wood construction and avoid veneers, but I noticed that there are a lot of different varieties of wood used in different furniture sets. So far I've seen pine, maple, oak, alder, cherry, and mahogany. What's the best? What makes it best? What makes other wood cheap or poor quality? And is there a site online that can help to better explain why I want a better quality wood for my furniture and what in fact makes it better? I'm really hoping someone can help me out because I want to buy a nice quality bedroom set and I don't want to pay top dollar for junky furniture either. Thanks in advance.
What about this furniture? Does it seem okay? http://www.mybobs.com/catalog/set_view.asp?packageid=585&room=bedroom

A. The wood species is up to you, what do you like? If you choose a posted set, the posts should be solid wood. Any panels you choose can be veneered or solid. Veneer panels are much better than they used to be. The glues used are better and manufacturers are willing to stand behind them. Solid wood panels are beautiful but may require multiple glue joints to achieve adequate width. This can create inconsistent grain patterns. If you see something that looks good at the store, but when you get it it doesn't look so great, go back to the store and demand the display. They tend to show the best.
Hope this helps.
I like Says Me's dovetails and mortises!


How would I go about painting a finished piece of furniture? What kind of paint would I use?
Q. I have a nice bedroom set in great condition but I hate the color of it... (oak)
I want to paint it a dark chocolate brown color. What kind of paint would I use to do this? Interior paint?
And how would I prep the furniture beforehand?

A. If the furniture has a shiny top coat you will need to scuff that up first, then pick a really good primer. Kilz is great and on the side of the can tells you what surfaces it adheres to the best. Interior paint is fine because it wont be exposed to any outdoor elements ie: rain etc. Then pick your color and sheen of paint. (flat, egg shell, satin, semi-gloss or gloss.) The higher the sheen the more durable your paint will be.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What colors and themes go well with oak and dark green?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment