Wednesday, January 9, 2013

How do I set up my bedroom?

Q. I am moving to a new house. What furniture would make maximum use of bedroom space? Also, what colors go well with light turquoise?
I have a closet to store clothes. I do want a desk, and was considering a loft bed, but I don't know anyone who has them, or if they're good.

A. The size of your bed depends a great deal on the size of your room. Don't get a king size bed if the room is small. You will want at least one bedside table, and maybe two, for lamps, clocks, etc.

Then decide what else you are going to need in the room. Think about how you want to use the room. Will you need a dresser for clothes storage? Do you want a sitting area? A desk?

Chocolate brown will go well with the light turquoise. Then think of what sparkle to use in the room, like silver or glass. Have fun and enjoy decorating your new house.


What kind of insulation should I use ?
Q. I'm raising the floor of my bedroom from a concret slab to a floor that will be even with the rest of the house. Insulation will be used between the slab and new floor. What kind should I use to prevent mold?

A. Put a vapor barrier like Tyvek plastic sheeting on the concrete(preferrably attached to the bottom of the joists) and then use fiberglas batting between the floor joists with the paper barrier toward the room.

Tyvek will only allow moisture to move through it in one direction so the insulation will breathe without allowing the moisture which will definitely travel up from the concrete into the fiberglas and joists. Also make sure to not set any wood supports for the floor directly on the concrete, always put a piece of rubber or a metal post support between wood and concrete. Once again, this will prevent water from absorbing into your framing.
Fiberglas is the best insulation as it will not grow mold, It's made of glass fibers.


Hi, I need help repainting an old bedroom set?
Q. We have a bedroom set that is about 10 years old. I want to stain it or paint it, and i dont know the difference. Now, as far as the paint thats on there, do i need to strip it to make the new paint stick, or can i just paint over it? What about just a light wet sand? If i paint it, how about no sanding at all? Your help would be appreciated.

A. If you have a bedroom set that has a factory finish I would leave it. I can tell you don't know what you're doing and you are going to make a hash of it. Poor brushwork (or mini-rollerwork) loks terrible compared to any factory finish. All the answers before me give incorrect information. If your units are lacquered they ought to stay that way or are likely to chip. If they are melamine or a dense type of finish, they ought to stay that way as they are likely to chip. If you insist on painting it then rub every square centimetre over with a P120 grade abrasive paper, normal primers soak into wood, but when they can't get a good grip you have to compromise by using a glass, ceramic or MDF primer - apply with a 4 inch foam/flock roller and brush. Then apply an undercoat followed by a gloss or two satin coats. I recommend two coats of Dulux Satinwood.

But don't do it.

(and you can mix dried coats of latex and oil-based paints, it is the finish's that don't often mix and oil-based primer is not the solution to painting over varnish.)


Do parakeets need to live in a very quiet setting?
Q. I just got a parakeet and i've had it for 2 days now. I put its cage in the bedroom and i keep the door shut, but my house can get a bit noisy with a 2 year old son and since my house is kinda small the tv can be heard from the bedroom (along with the hair dryer and vacuum and things like that). Could this permanently traumatize him? Or will he eventually get used to the noise?

A. Yes. Birds hate the quietest of noises. Taking care of a parakeet is like taking care of senior citezen. This means no more running around, or screaming, or watching television. Put all of his food in a blender and put a spout on top of his cage. Pour the blended mix down the spout and he'll catch it. Your new bird is also going to need a Hover-Round for parakeets (Small version) and a pair of glasses for enhanced vision. Be sure to remember to give him his daily medicine and sometimes offer him the treat of your own diarrhea. Listen to what I say and you will find yourself with a calm, stuffy, fancy bird.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How do I set up my bedroom?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment