Monday, January 7, 2013

How do I adhere wallpaper to smooth, lacquer veneer furniture?

Q. I have a (cheap) white bedroom set with a smooth, lacquer veneer finish, that I'd like to put wallpaper on the front of the doors - how do I adhere wallpaper to it? Is it easier to just paint it?

A. You will need to sand the finish with a 220 grit or finer (the larger the number the finer the grit) You can use a pre pasted paper but additional paste may be in order. There are many self adhesive vinyls that are used for shelf liners which may be an option as the adhesive backing sticks to almost anything. If you paint you will need to sand and possibly prime depending on the finish coat color


How to remove smell from wooden drawers?
Q. I've had this bedroom set for about 3 years, but it still smells like the prior owner's cheap perfume. You know the kind that floral with a hent of moth ball scent. I have tried washing them, and putting little bags of coffee in them, like you do wih potpourri only better since I can't stand floral smells or anything like that. I've tried febreze but still it smells like musty flowers and moth balls. So what is left to do?

A. There are a couple of things you could try (if you haven't already). If you are okay with the smell of cedar chips, you could put them in the drawers, you could try dryer sheets, air the bedroom set outside on a cool airy day or you also could try washing the set down with pine sol & water.


I'm buying new bedroom furniture, what kind of wood should I look for?
Q. Hi, I don't know much about furniture other than saying something is cute or not, but I was told by a friend that I should stick with solid wood construction and avoid veneers, but I noticed that there are a lot of different varieties of wood used in different furniture sets. So far I've seen pine, maple, oak, alder, cherry, and mahogany. What's the best? What makes it best? What makes other wood cheap or poor quality? And is there a site online that can help to better explain why I want a better quality wood for my furniture and what in fact makes it better? I'm really hoping someone can help me out because I want to buy a nice quality bedroom set and I don't want to pay top dollar for junky furniture either. Thanks in advance.
What about this furniture? Does it seem okay? http://www.mybobs.com/catalog/set_view.asp?packageid=585&room=bedroom

A. The wood species is up to you, what do you like? If you choose a posted set, the posts should be solid wood. Any panels you choose can be veneered or solid. Veneer panels are much better than they used to be. The glues used are better and manufacturers are willing to stand behind them. Solid wood panels are beautiful but may require multiple glue joints to achieve adequate width. This can create inconsistent grain patterns. If you see something that looks good at the store, but when you get it it doesn't look so great, go back to the store and demand the display. They tend to show the best.
Hope this helps.
I like Says Me's dovetails and mortises!


Where would the best place be to rent furniture for the whole house at the cheapest rate?
Q. I am new to the Toledo area and just found an apartment. I am starting anew and need new couch, dinette set, and bedroom set (entertainment center w/ TV). I know about Rent-A-Center, Aaron's, and a few others that are commercial but was wondering if there was a cheaper way to go before I sign any contracts.

A. We have used Rent-a-Center. What's great baout them is, if you have to let it go back, you can start again at any time nd pick up where you left off. You don't lose anything. It has to be a similar thing though, like if you rented a washing machine and paid over half, then lost your job and had to let it go back, you can get another washing machine later and all the payments you paid before apply to the new one.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How do I adhere wallpaper to smooth, lacquer veneer furniture?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment