Monday, January 14, 2013

How to make storage space in the bedroom?

Q. I have a pretty small bedroom. The thing that sucks is I don't have a closet. So I have to put all my shoes in a corner and all my clothes are in dresser drawers but they don't all fit so they are everywhere. Any suggestions?

A. There are lots of beds on the market today which integrate storage into them. Ones with drawers that pull out from under the bed and even storage built into the bed head.

Ive seen some pretty cool bedroom setups which have a whole wall of shelving/integrated wardrobe doors in the bed head area.

Good luck :)


How to setup a wireless connection in your home?
Q. I have a cable modem for my internet that is connected to my computer only. Tomorrow I'm going to buy a PS3 and I am going to connect it to internet. The problem is, my TV is on the living room and my computer is in my bedroom. And I don't think the cable is far enough to connect to PS3. So I was just thinking of getting a wireless connection instead.
How do I do that?
And is wireless connection slower than cable?

A. Wireless has nothing to do with the speed fo your cable connection so dont worry about that (technically speaking wireless would be faster anyway than most cable lines)

buy a wireless router, plug into your cable modem. Use the cd that comes with it to setup the wireless network (give it a name, and a wireless security key) then configure your ps3 to use those wireless settings and your done!


How do you turn a room in the basement with concrete walls into a bedroom?
Q. I'm moving back to my dad's house and want to turn a room in the basement into my bedroom. Two of the walls are "normal" walls with wallpaper, but 2 of them are still concrete, and have been covered with rug squares. I don't know anything about home improvement, but I want to be able to paint the walls and make the room look nice. How do I do this?

A. You've got two good answers, and a bunch of others from people who don't have a clue what they're talking about.

First off, as Steve said, you technically can't make a basement into living space unless there are at least two points of egress (exit). If the basement has two exits (even a basement window qualifies as an emergency exit), then you're good.

A proper setup would be furred out and insulated walls and a raised floor. But if you know that the floor doesn't get cold/damp in the winter, you could go with just doing the walls (in dry areas, the insulation provided by carpet and padding can suffice, and since this sounds like it's already a partially finished basement, I assume that if it's needs a raised floor, you've already got one).

Use construction adhesive (comes in a tube like caulk) to adhere 2x4 studs to the concrete walls, just like you were building a normal framed wall. Space the studs 16" on center - in the inside corner, make sure they're set so the drywall from both walls is supported in the corner Install wiring for receptacles (per code, every 6' of wall space needs a receptacle), and telephone and TV cable as desired. Insulate, apply a plastic film vapor barrier, and drywall. Then paint, wallpaper, whatever.

If you do need to create a raised floor the, it's the same idea as the walls, except you only need 2x2s (or 2x4s laid on their side), and instead of drywall, you lay down 3/4" underlayment (a type of plywood).

To do a 12x12 room (two walls only), you're looking at about $80-100 in materials. To do the floor, another $70.

DIYnetwork.com has good tutorials on the specific details of the project. Have fun!


How do I setup a home photography studio?
Q. I want to start taking pictures of my family and friends inside my home. Lighting and background are obviously the most essential items I need, but I see so many options that I don't know where to start.

Any recommendations or examples of do-it-yourself home studios? If you have one of these setup at your home, I'd love to see a picture of it. If it's possible to do this on a budget, that'd be a nice thing to know also.

Thanks!

A. You can get lighting equipment online for a good price. I got my set here: bhphotovideo.com. It cost me about $100 and it came with 2 large lamps, sockets, bulbs and stands. I already had acquired 2 smaller units elsewhere. For a background, I usually use a king size sheet. I use a spare bedroom in my apartment and when I'm done, I store everything in a trunk when it's not in use. I don't need my equipment getting knocked over and it's not hard to set up. Setting up the "studio" every time sort of gets me in the right frame of mind to concentrate on my shoot as well. You can definitely get something that will suite your needs on a limited budget. Good luck.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How to make storage space in the bedroom?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment