Thursday, January 17, 2013

For a newlywed couple, what is the best choice for a place to live- i.e. apartment, mobile home, house, etc?

Q. My Fiance and I are getting married in a few months from now. We both are still living at home with our parents- that is, she is home living with her folks, and I am still at home living with my own.

We want to make the best choice for us, in terms of financially, in terms of having privacy, and in terms of learning as best we can about one another in a safe and loving environment. We have pretty much decided that living with either sets of parents is not an option.

My wife-to-be wants to start out by purchasing a decent but inexpensive mobile home. I am fine with this idea. But is it the wisest choice? It will cost approximately as much as renting a one bedroom apartment. Probably, the payments on the mobile home itself will be around 300, and the lot rent will cost around 300 as well. Thus, the total will be around 600 per month.

Is this a good choice for us? We are both just getting good jobs now, and we are not earning a whole lot yet. Thanks for your help and ideas.

A. I got married the first time I was only 18. We lived with his parents until we found a mobile home that was a 2 bedroom cute as could be. We didn't have to make payments on a lot because we put it on my parents land. They have alot of land so we put it on the other side so that we had plenty of privacy. Getting a loan for a mobile home was actually a good start for us. It wasn't as big of loan that we would have to try to get out from under later if we wanted to like a house would be and yet we were still establishing a good credit history by doing this. We didn't stay together but that doesnt matter as far as that goes. It really helped us get established without having something to try to get out from under or take forever trying to sell like a house or just wasting our money by renting an apartment. When we got divorced we both had credit scores close to 900. So I would say yes the mobile home idea is a good choice. Good luck you two :)


Could I afford to live comfortably in New York City with this occupation and income?
Q. I am hoping to become an Urban Planner. According to PayScale.com, the average salary for those with 20 years of experience is US$97,250. How far out from New York City would I have to be to live comfortably on that income? Could I live comfortably in Manhattan, or Brooklyn or Queens?

Also, is it common for people to start out living maybe an hour away from NYC somewhere in the metropolitan area and then as their income rises move closer in over time?

A. To Gertrud - you've clearly never been to Brooklyn or Queens, and maybe not to Manhattan. He could live comfortably in ALL of these boroughs on that salary - very easily. Particularly easily in Brooklyn and Queens.

The nicest, more expensive areas of Brooklyn are Williamsburg, Greenpoint, the Heights and Park Slope - the average rental prices for a one bedroom in these areas are $1800 - $2200. On $97K a year, you could VERY comfortably afford this - you could probably comfortably afford a two bedroom on that salary, as long as you don't have a drug problem or gambling addiction that you're not telling us.

In Queens, the nicest areas, in my opinion (however, my opinion may be less informed than Brooklyn, since I didn't grow up in Queens and never lived there, only visit frequently) are the areas of Bayside, Forest Hills, and maybe Astoria (Astoria mostly nice, though, because it's so close to Manhattan). In Forest Hills, I have friends who have a one bedroom for $1500 - others who have two bedrooms (and share the apartment) for $2200. In Astoria, it may be a little more, but you get the picture - it's really cheap to live in Brooklyn and Queens.

Living in Brooklyn now, in Sheepshead Bay with a roommate, my share of rent is $600. I'm a grad student, with only a part time job, and I live well - I'm able to splurge, go shopping, have a gym membership, keep a car and insure it, have all those luxuries. It's a nice area, full of Russians and Hasidic Jews, it's unfortunately a hike to Manhattan (though I'm not complaining) - you can find a large, well lit one bedroom here for $1200. Great deals - but it's about 40 minutes away from Manhattan. If the commute doesn't bother you, and you're looking to save as much money as possible on rent, look into Bay Ridge, Brighton Beach, Bensonhurst, Midwood and Sheepshead Bay - great, safe, family friendly areas with half of the rent that you would pay in Brooklyn North.

You could even live in Manhattan on that - the average rental price for a one bedroom in downtown Manhattan is $3000. That's $36000 a year - leaving you $60K a year (before taxes) to play with, save, pay for bills, etc. Don't listen to these people who have clearly never lived in the city, or are under the impression that it's more expensive and unlivable than it actually is. Come and visit for a few days and get the idea yourself. You'll be fine.

As for your last question - actually, most of the people I know start out in the city, and then move farther out as their incomes increase and they can afford to buy houses. I'm only 23, so there aren't a LOT of people in my age group doing this, but my friends' parents or older siblings tend to do this - after graduating, working a few years, and getting a good savings account set up, they move to Westchester, Connecticut or Jersey.


Husband and Brother both Messies living in my home... Need Helpful Suggestions?
Q. Hello everyone - I am new here but I have been trying to better the way I keep my house. I work full time and have a 2 year old son and an 11 year old step daughter who is with us frequently. We moved into our home in March and it has continuously gotten worse and worse. My brother who is 28 lives with us and he is fairly lazy when it comes to house cleaning as is my husband. I am not one to speak up a whole lot but I just don't know how to keep up with everything any longer. I get up in the morning, shuffle my son to daycare, go to work and pick my son up and go home, get any dishes done, cook dinner, do the dishes, do a load of laundry, get my son bathed and taken care of with dinner and to bed. Meanwhile, the guys sit on the couch watching TV. The only action I usually get is if I set a basket of laundry in front of them while they are watching TV but then I have to put it away in all the different bedrooms. If anyone has ideas on how to get them off the couch?? Please Help!

A. I agree with all of the above.
Just stop is my advice.
Don't do their laundry. Let them cook for themselves.
Just tell them you cannot continue doing this. Period.
Then ... why is your brother, a grown man, living with
you. This is no good for you or your marriage or your children. What do you think they are learning from this
horrible experience of you being a doormat and slave.
Tell him he has to go. Tell him to get a life.
I think the two men in your house are feeding into each other's adolescent behavior.
Your marriage will be ruined by this arrangement.
Be strong. Everyone will be up in arms for a while but they'll get over it.
Tell them you cannot continue and will not continue being the maid, the chef, the teacher, etc.
Under no circumstances should you be washing their clothes. Is your brother disabled? Retarded? Does he have a job?
You are doing work that is worth about 600 a week. But you are not only not getting paid, you are killing yourself and will become old before your time. Where's the fun here? Life is not a 24 hour a day chore list.
Do you have friends or family who can support you in this
horrible situation?
I hope this works out for you as it is sad to read about this
kind of abuse ... that's what is. Guaranteed!


How do I find Bank Owned homes?
Q.

A. Best bet would be to check with a Realtor. The reason:

Once a bank forecloses, it owns the property. It's called REO--or "real estate owned." At some point, sometimes a few weeks later, sometimes a few months later, the bank will put the property back on the market. First, it'll have a BPO--"broker's price opinion," sort of like an appraisal--done to help determine its value.

Then, when it's ready to put it back on the market, the bank lists the property with a Realtor. Lenders tend to work with a limited number of Realtors. The listing agent, then, enters the property into the multiple listing service, or MLS. That makes it available to all agents who subscribe to the MLS.

It's generally not possible to directly approach a bank and make an offer. Long time ago, some banks let you do that. Now, they all list their properties.

So, contact a Realtor. One tip: A Realtor can set up an automatic search and notification process, so that any time a property that meets your criteria is listed, you're automatically e-mailed. So let's say you wanted to know about all bank-owned properties, 3 or more bedrooms, under $600,000, in Los Angeles County. You'd get an initial list. Then, every time a property with those criteria was listed, you'd immediately receive an e-mail.

The whole process costs you nothing. The Realtor is paid a commission (often a reduced commission) by the bank.

Hope that helps.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: For a newlywed couple, what is the best choice for a place to live- i.e. apartment, mobile home, house, etc?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment