Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Where can I see samples of vintage Drexel Furniture types online?

Q. In cleaning out my grandparents' basement, I discovered several beautiful, well-preserved pieces of vintage Drexel mahogany furniture. There is a six piece bedroom set, a desk, and a buffet (sideboard). According to my mother, this furniture was purchased around 1930. I want to determine which line these pieces came from, so that I can research the value. Does anyone know of an online (or other) resource with detailed photos of antique fine furniture lines?

A. You might try looking at ebay.com, and not just the auction stuff, but the stores, too. If the pieces are solid mahogany and not mahogany veneer, they might be worth a good bit of money. You may wish to send photos to one of the auction houses (Sothebys or Christies) for an estimate of their value; they will know which line the pieces are.


Where can I find a charity in NYC to pick up a mahogany bedroom set and 4 sewing machines?
Q. These items remain from the estate of my aunt who was a professional seamstress. I can no longer afford the storage fees and would love to donate the items to help people start a business or furnish their home. These items have to be picked up from the storage facility in Brooklyn before May 31st. Help me avoid the June storage fees!

A. Contact Salvation Army. Some of them will come pick up. Here's some numbers for ones in Brookklyn area:

110 Kosciusko St, Brooklyn - (718) 857-7264

436 Atlantic Ave, Brooklyn - (718) 834-1562

3718 Nostrand Ave, Brooklyn - (718) 648-8930


Does furniture made from Indonesian mahogany contribute to deforestation in Indonesia?
Q. The Bobs Jamestown bedroom set (http://www.mybobs.com/Jamestown.aspx) is apparently made from Indonesian Mahogany. I have read in a couple websites that illegal logging is a growing problem in Indonesia. Does buying furniture like this contribute to the problem?

A. Simply put, yes. It doesn't matter if it is legally imported or not, this trade makes a market for the illegally imported items.


What is the best, if any, way to sell my oak bedroom furniture, please read ?
Q. I have a beutiful set of oak bedroom furniture that i actually got for next to nothing but it is great. I don't know anything about the value of furniture, but now that I am 56, I am finding that things I have in my house are actually collectibles etc. I guess there is something good about being on the wrong side of 50 :) :) :) I bought it "used" in 1989 but it is like perfect and includes 2 night stands, big chester drawers with mirror and head for bed. ?? thanks for you furniture people I can help with children things and sewing :) and selling on ebay and of course jesus things

A. The sad part of having anything beautiful, like well-made furniture, is that many people can't or won't appreciate it. I found this to be true when an Appraiser came through an estate I was handling and put these ridiculously small values on some fine pieces of furniture. His answer was that there is a small market for "used" furniture; most young people today would rather go to a "Big Box" store and buy some "you-build-it" crap made out of particle board than spend a few dollars more and have something they can cherish for years.
You can certainly try selling the suite on eBay, but unless the set is really old, you may not find a buyer...
You may want to try placing an ad in the classifieds of your local paper, but that usually entails alot of unwarranted phone calls.
We have "consignment" shops in this area that will take in items like this, but, if you have a timely need for cash, you may have to wait a while before the set sells.
Auction houses are always looking for quality merchandise, but there again you have to be careful, as their costs may eat up a lot of your possible gain.
Word-of-mouth may be the easiest; letting people know at work, your place of worship, etc.
And then, there is always donation. You state that you got for "next to nothing", so if you're not looking to make a few bucks, need the space, and want to feel good about it, you can call a local charitable orgainzation. They could come pick it up for nothing and you get a decent tax write off.
Good luck....Like I said, nice pieces can be difficult to "get rid" of. I have two of my parents solid mahogany dressers that neither of my sons want, so I don't know where they will end up..........





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Where can I see samples of vintage Drexel Furniture types online?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment