Sunday, December 30, 2012

Community: I'm soon to close down on a house and I've been looking at furniture. Can anyone help me with...?

Q. ... I'm looking to buy furniture sets for a living room, bedrooms, office and kitchen. I already have ideas as to where to go for these items. Like the bedroom set, I'd probably go to Target. The kitchen table; Rooms to Go...IKea...maybe even the living room set. Are there any stores that offer a discount for a big purchase? Ideas on where to get a durable set of living room furniture?

Any ideas are appreciated

A. All furniture stores offer sales all the time so you can do better by looking at your local furniture stores. I wouldn't choose Target for anything other than an odd piece or two but certainly not for a bedroom. Do you have an Ethan Allen, Ashley, or American Signature furniture store in your area? What about the independents in your area? I would look there first. Pottery Barn has great stuff and sales. So does Horchow and Bassett Furniture. I would take some time to look at everything before making a decision.


look at this antique dresser set and let me know what it is plz??
Q. Last year my boyfriend brought me home this vintage dresser set. At first I thought it was ugly but after a while it grew on me. The othewr day I was moving it around and i noticed a year on the back. It is from 1928. I cant seem to find anything like it anywere online!!

I would like to know what style it is, what is it actually called, and should I refinish it??
I know nothing about old furniture and desperatly need some some details!!
thank you, here is the link:
http://s304.photobucket.com/albums/nn170/joedowen1335/

also, does anyone know a good site to identify different types of wood
thank you for the info!!!!
my boyfriend actually got it out of a house that was going to be demolished!!! he workks in construcition so him and his team got to pick what they wanted. i had no clue it was worth anything at all!!!

how much do these usually sell for if it all refinished?

A. This bureau was once part of a larger bedroom suite. The style is a loose version of Adamesque or American Federal -- the swags are signature motifs of these styles. Likely it was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan, the furniture capitol of the world in the 1920's. It was almost entirely machine made. I suggest you DO NOT refinish this chest. The wood underneath is a very thin veneer; the paint was applied to cover problems, and actually is quite attractive. If there are a few chips, get the paint color matched (take a drawer to a paint store for a perfect color match) and make some touch ups.


Best looking sheet sets/ comforters for guys in mid 20s?
Q. I have brown colored furniture in my bedroom and am looking for a nice sheet set/comforter for my room. The walls are white but I am wanting to change that at some point, just not sure what color yet, but that's in the future. I am having trouble finding sheets and was hoping someone might have some examples they've seen online. I want sheets that are manly, but not too bachelor pady... Any ideas?? Or at least good websites for bedding?

A. First quality sheets with a muted pattern will tell anyone touching them that you are a man of good taste. In shopping for sheets, there are three main things to know.

The material must be cotton. NEVER polyester. But not just any old cotton. The best is Egyptian cotton which has long fibers about 1.5" long and very fine. But those sheets can be extremely expensive. You can still do well with American varieties of Egyptian cotton which are known as Pima cotton. Don't settle for anything less. And under no circumstances settle for sheets made in China. If you're really pressed for cash you might make do with India cotton but believe me, bare skin can really tell the difference in quality.

The next thing you need to know is about thread count -- the number of threads per inch. Higher is better and smoother and silkier. Sheets with a very high thread count tend to become softer and silkier with multiple washings which cheaper sheets will become stiffer. Be careful of claims though. Some manufacturers "double weave" and so claim a higher thread count but its really just two cheap sheets woven together so they don't have the softness and luster of true high-count sheets.

Locally, the best sheets I have found in the "under $200/set" range are Costco's Signature Kirkland brand. They come in a true 600 thread count and carry an unlimited warranty.

Oh, and Costco usually carries some very nice comforters and throws at good prices.

Sweet dreams,
Honey






the important thing to look for is the "thread count". That is the number of threads per inch of material. The higher the count, the better quality the sheet, the smoother and silkier the feel.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Community: I'm soon to close down on a house and I've been looking at furniture. Can anyone help me with...?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment