Saturday, December 29, 2012

Where do people buy "real" furniture in Southern California?

Q. I want to buy a bedroom set that will last, preferably for at least a couple generations, in solid wood. I don't want Ikea or anything like that. Where do you buy your furniture? Any tips on good, discount furniture?

A. Ethan Allan has really good stuff, but its really expensive. Stuff made out of real wood (not pine or particle board) is fairly pricey. Wicks has some decent stuff. We priced out a nice mahogany bedroom set there with a queen sleigh bed, highboy dresser, and a pair of nightstands which came out to about $3500. I'd say stay away from Levitz. I bought a recliner from them that fell apart within 2 years. My wife fell in love with a sleigh bed from Thomasville. without the matress it was $2500. I found a guy on ebay selling the exact same bed that was 6 months old for 1500 with a nice beauty rest matress. I went for it, but had to pay a few hundred to have it shipped from NYC to Los Angeles. You might try that though, look around in the high-dollar stores, note the maker and model number then look to see who might have it on ebay or maybe an internet retailer.


I have a few antique pieces that I would like to add to an estate sale of a reputable estate auction company.?
Q. I live in St. Louis, MO.

Any suggestions from people with experience with this kind of thing would be gratefully appreciated.

I have four Barrister bookcases, a huge African Mahogany dining table with ten matching chairs, a solid wood cherry executive desk, a mahogany bedroom set with two twin bed frames and two dressers plus a few other pieces.

A. Look in you local phone book and visit some of their sales. Ask the people that hired them. They may even have references you could check. I'd go back where the sale was and ask. Check the local BBB too. Good luck.


I need some ideas to paint my room. Please help i cant decide what color to use?
Q. I have a mahogany traditional bedroom set and two of my walls are dark brown so my room looks very dark when i just go into my room. i want to decorate my room and bathroom w/ blue and brown and i want it to match. i love those two colors toghter but i think that it would only look right with modern bedroom sets. Please help me with some coloring ideas

A. A pale blue would look absolutely gorgeous against the dark mahogany wood and looks great in a modern or traditional environment

A color I have used in the past that I always thinks looks stunning is First Dawn by Dulux.

I find it really lightens and brightens any room, so your room will not feel so dark, even if you wanted to keep your brown walls.

A pale blue is perfect for decorating bathrooms too, so you will be all set...

Wishing you lots of luck in your decorating - hope you enjoy the results!
x


Where can I see samples of vintage Drexel Furniture types online?
Q. In cleaning out my grandparents' basement, I discovered several beautiful, well-preserved pieces of vintage Drexel mahogany furniture. There is a six piece bedroom set, a desk, and a buffet (sideboard). According to my mother, this furniture was purchased around 1930. I want to determine which line these pieces came from, so that I can research the value. Does anyone know of an online (or other) resource with detailed photos of antique fine furniture lines?

A. You might try looking at ebay.com, and not just the auction stuff, but the stores, too. If the pieces are solid mahogany and not mahogany veneer, they might be worth a good bit of money. You may wish to send photos to one of the auction houses (Sothebys or Christies) for an estimate of their value; they will know which line the pieces are.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Where do people buy "real" furniture in Southern California?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment