Monday, November 25, 2013

How do I re-finish a bedroom furniture set?

bedroom furniture refinishing ideas
 on ... Ideas Amazing Kids Bedroom Painting Ideas with Modern Furniture Sets
bedroom furniture refinishing ideas image



dubbledxu


I'm looking to refinish my bedroom dressers and nightstand. My plan is on plugging the holes left from the old hardware, sanding off the current finish, drilling new holes for the new hardware, and restaining it. What types of finsih should i look at? I want it to be black, but dont know what types of stain i should use and if i need to polyurthene it as well.


Answer
If you have a really stubborn varnish to get through, I would recommend chemically stripping the wood. If you're only planning on sanding the wood and not first stripping it, you'd better have some damn good equipment! If you just have a common orbital sander you're going to wear yourself out and not get very far in the process. If you have a disk or a belt sander you'll be able to remove the varnish a lot quicker, but then you have to be careful not to sand too deeply and ruin your piece. If your furniture has legs or any curved areas it can be hard to sand. You'll only need to lightly sand the furniture after using a chemical stripper, and then it'll be so smooth you'll want to get naked and wiggle on it! Well, maybe not... but you get the idea. Look for a chemical stripper that says "no clean-up" or washes clean with water. Definitely wear gloves and a mask.

Is it possible to freshen up the artificial wood on my bedroom furniture?




Bailey


I have furniture that has some real wood trim,but a lot is artifical wood. I have washed it,used furniture polish. It Still looks awfull. I am not able to get a new one now. Do you have any ideas of what to use? Thank's for the Help!


Answer
this might sound wierd...if the wood is unfinished, meaning no clearcoat, use lemonseed oil or tongue oil....they smell pretty good too....if the wood has a polyeurathine finish, i dont know what to do....good luck
if you do choose to sand and refinish, make sure you sand with the grain. not against the grain




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How do I re-finish a bedroom furniture set?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment