Sunday, January 19, 2014

Why is my electricity bill so high?

bedroom sets gainesville fl
 on ... by Huppe - Jacksonville Furniture Mart - Huppe Nevada Dealer Florida
bedroom sets gainesville fl image



miss_neci


I just moved into a small 1 br apartment in Gainesville, FL to attend the University of Florida as a grad student. I had previously stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment (including washing machine and dryer) and used <500 KWH per month. Just received my 1st full month's bill from GRU and it's 871 KWH for 33 days. That's $126! I'm extremely conservative (central air is usually set at ~75/80 degrees, lights are kept off when not in use) and I don't even have a washer/dryer here as I did in my previous apartment.

Could something be wrong with my meter?
It is a 2 level apt/townhouse, so I guess that may be 1 contributing factor as one responder indicated....
I actually turned my central air off at the breaker as of today. I'm pretty sure that is a major culprit. Guess that will eliminate any problems with poor insulation, etc. right??? This adjustment shouldn't phase me since I'm in Florida. I simply can't afford it: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AmBeAKQbY14vHdbNTdTE88_sy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20080926174623AA3GmN9



Answer
I answer this question in detail in my article, "Why is my electric bill so high?" at http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/whyhigh.html but I'll give you a short summary here.

(1) It's likely mostly from your air conditioning.

(2) You are not "extremely conservative" if you run air conditioning at all, much less at 75 degrees! You might say that most people do so, but that would make that action "typical", not "extremely conservative".

(3) Turn off all your breakers and look at your electric meter. Did it stop spinning? If so, your meter's not broken. Don't waste your electric company's time by complaining to them. It's not their fault or problem.

(4) The answer about needing to unplug things you're not using is flat-out wrong. The small amount of vampire power is not the biggest part of your bill.

(5) Paul's suggestion that you match the reading on your electric meter with what's printed on your bill is spot-on. Make sure they didn't charge you for more than the meter says.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Why is my electricity bill so high?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment