Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Rich people - How do you feel about yourselves?

Q. Also, how's it feel being rich? How do you feel your life is different than the majority's?
This isn't a religious question, nor do I want religion shoved down my throat. This is a question about money.
Ok. Let's go with top 15%.

A. Everyone's definition of "rich" is different.

To be clear, I consider my self very fortunate and am just trying to answer this question to the best of my ability.

My father is an entrepreneur (is a very self-made man considering he grew up on the streets of NYC) and my family owned 2 private jets, 2 boats, 3 houses (all with more than 6 bedrooms), several luxury cars, a limo, employed chef, employed house manager, and a full-time employed housekeeper at the peak of his businesses (this was maybe one or two years ago).

Assuming I meet your definition of "rich" than I feel like everyone else I know. I go to an all-girls private school -- one of the top schools in the country -- and I study 3 languages as well as do over 100 hours of community service yearly. Every person I know attends a private school and is into the same sports as I am.

I feel like my life is not different than the majority's lives because although I have had the oppurtunity to go to 10 of the 16 (used to be 17 until Le Bec Fin became casual) five star restaurants in the United States and have visited France, Italy, Nevus, Bora Bora, and the Caribbean (to name but a few), my life is not all easy.

I have a 6-figure trust fund to fall back on when I am 25 years old but I still work hard for my shopping money. I babysit, I do chores around the house, I help my community a lot, and I try to be as social as society allows a 13 year old. I have several designer purses, shoes, sunglasses, and other accessories but I still have to put up with my annoying parents: the same as the rest of the world.

What sets me apart from anyone else I know is that my dad has been charged with several white-collar crimes and one of his largest companies (worth $400 million) went bankrupt not long after my 8th birthday and now I have to put up with newspaper reporters calling my house (so our 4 phone lines are often busy), various people knocking on our door for interviews, and then I have to deal with the public humiliation that comes with this press attention.

I am no celebrity world-wide, but in my community my family is of very high status and the press says very very nasty things which no ordinary 13 year old girl should ever have to deal with.

You have to understand that although my IQ is among the top 0.5% and although my family's wealth exceeds beyond the top 5%, I do have a lot to deal with.

It's funny, I've always wanted an "average" life style with loving parents (I was raised mostly by nannies) and no involvement in the business world (my brothers and I already have a 1/4 share in over 10 companies and we are all under 18 years old, plus I signed my first $200 million contract in first grade at 6 years old). Whereas most people want an Upper Class life, the "American Dream" as some refer to it as.

I say my life feels different -- yeah. It feels good sometimes be wealthy -- of course. But at the end of the day, I just want shelter, food, and love. Anywhere my life goes as long as I have someone to love me, food to keep me warm and healthy, and shelter over my head I will be happy.

I know a lot for a 13 year old. A lot of people say I have grown up too quickly because of the pressure put on me.

-Catherine

Edit: To the person who said wealthy people never do anything for the community is 100% UNTRUE! My mom is a philanthropists which means she gives away money as her job to organizations. We are just ordinary people. My dad is sitting in his office downstairs right this second in a Nike tracksuit because he works out every morning at our gym. My mom is in her bathrobe in one of her closets probably picking out cloths to wear.


Why did you join the military?
Q. After high school I'm almost dead set on joining the army or marines, I'm going to join because for the obvious reason to protect and serve the USA and for the benefits but that's not the main reason also was it worth it to you? What did you get out of it?

A. I joined the U.S. Navy to get out of slower, lower Delaware and see the world. I did pretty much both. I was on 5 ships, stationed in 3 countries (my family was with me in 2), was on 6 of the 7 continents (never made it to Australia, but I did go to New Zealand), visited over 30 countries (some more than once), sailed 8 oceans/seas.
I've been as far East as Pakistan, as far West as Thailand, as far North as Nova Scotia, and as far South as Antarctica (spent 13 months there). I picked up 7 languages enough to get something to eat, get directions, shop, and carry on at least a limited conversation. I still keep in touch with a few folks I met overseas, and a lot of folks I'd been stationed with either by phone, card/letter, e-mail or internet IM. Some have even come through and stayed with us from time to time (one was here this past September for a few days, and we hadn't seen him since 1976).
That yahoo who said it was horrible...his own fault. The military is what YOU make of it. I was on one ship I had never wanted to be on...an aircraft carrier. I was on board during the last 10 months of my career, but I made it work. Even though I was away from my family 6 of the 10 months on board, I was able to hit a couple of ports I hadn't been to, and those I did get to, I went to see some old friends I had made (Israel, Italy, Egypt).
I worked for and with some jackasses, but we have those in the civilian world as well. One thing about the Navy....either YOU or the jackass will be transferred within 2 - 3 years. Can't do that in the civilian world. Either you have to quit or you or he dies.
After 20 years, I have pretty much free medical/medications for life, as well as my wife (she pays a $12 co-pay when she sees her doctor). I'm picking up 2 of her meds today....FREE. She called them in this past weekend and they're ready today. I drive on base, go to the pick-up window OUTSIDE, hand the lady my wife's military ID and they hand me her meds. Five minutes is the longest I waited.
When my 2 sons were born, we didn't pay a penny for the hospital stay (civilian hospital). There are some good buys in the commissary and the base exchange. Also the MWR office has good deals on tickets for various venues. I went to D.C. for a few days and stayed in the Navy lodge in an efficiency (kitchen, bedroom/living room/bath) for a lot less than a hotel would have cost.
What civilian company will train you, feed you, PAY you and give you someplace to live while being trained, then take you to foreign countries to visit or live?
Oh, and you can work on your college degree (if you want) while you're on active duty. The Navy has professors that go with the ship so you can take classes after working hours. Not sure how the Army/Marines work but I'm sure some places you can take classes on base, as well.
Good luck!

(USN retired 1965-85)


is my man a "lemon" or have i just been watching to much tv?
Q. I allways hear these great ways men have proposed to thier gfs.My bf of 4yrs were talking about buying a house and moving in together.He said "well if we are going to live together i want us to be married so will you marry me" and that was it.I said yes and he said good we will go tomorrow and pick out your ring.No asking my dad,i called my mom but he did not call anyone in his family,there was no going out to diner to celebrate nothing.1yr later im planning the wedding and he wants to keep it as cheap as possible with as few people as we can.I have never been married before,he has and has a 8yr old son with his ex.His divorce(or i should say ex) put him 20k in debt so this is the reason he wants to keep in cheap.I know he has done all this before but this is my first time and i just fell shorted.I fell like he just wants to get it over with and be able to claim married on his taxes again.I do know he put more time planing his 1st marrage.I don't expect a 30k wedding just some interest

A. Why of course you should dump him, because nothing says I love you like a big fancy schmancy over the top goofball wedding proposal. What did you want - he bakes a cake and then as you eat the cake -- with champagne he fermented himself -- aboard a hot air balloon, a skydiver whisks by and drops a note to you telling you to look down and when the balloon lands softly atop a grassy meadow a string quartet is playing Pachelbel's Canon and a horse-drawn carriage pulls up with your parents in it and he's already asked them to be there with flowers in their hair and a female magician shows up, swallows a handful of gold flakes and sh*ts out a lump of gold and he pulls out a fire and an anvil and hand-hammers you a ring and engraves "To the only woman I'll ever ever do this stunt for" on the inside and then the servants clear away the dishes so he can give you a foot rub and look at wallpaper swatches and bedroom sets from Pottery Barn with you as he feeds you Godiva truffles and then says, "Darling, your mom and dad approve - Dad, thanks for the talk - and I have thought it over for quite some time and I want you to know that since your amazing p*ssy, er, LOVE has changed my life forever, turning me from a schlump into one HELL of a great guy, that I realized as I thought deeply about you again today during my Quiet Think About You Time, that I cannot continue to draw oxygen any longer unless you are by my side, telling me not to wear those socks with that belt, saying "not tonight I'm tired", "I don't give bj's now that I'm a wife", and "no, your friends can't come over for poker this weekend, we're going to Williams-Sonoma for that cooking class I told you about last month", so my precious tender darling princess, will you do me this one last favor and make me the happiest man alive by granting me your hand in marriage?"
And when you say yes (notice all you have to do is say yes - nothing poetic or romantic or intelligent or creative or requiring effort or any of those other things you are demanding of him) - he sets off fireworks he made himself in Italy and flew back here to the states as the plane he built flies by carrying a banner reading - "I don't know how good I've got it with this woman" as the crowd that has gathered erupts in spontaneous applause?

Geezus - he wants to buy a house with you and marry you. He's sh*tloads in debt and you are whining about cash? Have your parents put forth all the cash for the wedding - that's tradition, especially since it is your first wedding! Sheesh!

Okay it's sarcastic, but stop expecting him to read your mind. Tell him for the wedding, look. I want a nice wedding. My parents are footing the bill. Here's what I want - a romantic limo ride and some doves and a nice cake. Or whatever. And then if he isn't excited, go, look they are paying so let's enjoy it a bit and get excited and it's important to me that you have fun and we enjoy this.
Enough with the "oh you didn't read my mind so i am going to pout" crapola. And if you want a guy to read your mind, this isn't the guy - so don't get married and torture him forever. Seriously.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Rich people - How do you feel about yourselves?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment