Sunday, May 5, 2013

Did you or someone you know get married after age fifty?

Q. If so, did the couple move into his place, her place, or find a new place together?

A. I married at age 53 . My now husband was 55. Both of us had been divorced and alone for quite a few years. I have kids...he does not.

Since the house I lived in had to be sold per my divorce decree, my four kids were adults, and he had a far better paying job than I did (a DBA making six figures while I was a baker...we don't make much even tho we FEED people lol) and owns a detached condo (small cottage style home) we decided I would retire (boy was I ready to lol) and after the house sold I would relocate to where he lives & works....so I packed it up in NY and moved to Nashville, TN. I had a whole house full of stuff-he had no pots & pans and was eating off of paper plates (typical bachelor lol) so the problem was what to do with all my sh!t. I weeded through it, saved what we could use, gave away alot of stuff to younger relatives just starting out and junked what wasn't worth saving. His appliances were old, mine fairly new and looked pristine so we redid the kitchen with mine. Think the only thing of his we kept are his oversized leather sofa & chair (we are gonna replace those in a few years, they are too deep and with our arthritis a B!tch to get out off lol). We still had to rent a storage unit because I still ended up with more that we needed...I have a few pieces that I am not willing to part with...and so does he. (his Mom's rocking chair, my oak dinning room set) We replaced our respective bedroom suites with a new one (they needed replacing lol) but kept the antique brass bed (circa 1880's) and other antique pieces I have had for almost 40 years.....granted it took a bit of compromising but our home, if a tad eclectic, is cozy and all ours.

And I love Nashville....why wouldn't I? weather wise it's almost perfect with cold weather not rolling in until late Dec and by mid March it's gone...only fly in the ointment are the rare tornados-nerve wracking.....I don't have to shovel 2 feet of snow in the wee hours of the morning to get out of my driveway and to work anymore, the Homeowner's Assoc does the outside maintenance altho I do have a small flower garden in front to tend to....and I get to cook/bake for someone other than me.


where is the best state in the USA for allergies?
Q. currently I live in Nashville which is one of the worst cities for allegeries, my family live Santa Maria area but I got sick there to and recently I was visiting a friend in Florida and I got sick from allegies, other states such as South Carolina I have not done to well, can some one reccomend a place I have lived in both cold and hot climate that does not matter just a place to stop being sick

A. Every state has allergies, including Alaska. It depends on what you are allergic to, and you may develop new allergies to the new things you come in contact with in a new locale. I would recommend that you make an appointment with an allergist to discuss desensitizing yourself, if possible. It is a long process, but worth it if you have serious allergies to environmental things. Have you been tested to see what you are actually allergic to? That is important to know. If you have a mold allergy, you can't move to another city or state to escape that. It could be in your home.

A few suggestions from someone who is allergic to everything you can inhale:

1. Keep your HVAC system fan set to "on". That will draw things like dust and pet hair out of the house. You must clean your filter more often, though. Get a good quality HEPA or pleated filter. They make reusable ones that can be washed with the hose. I take my outside and blast it with my leaf blower (be sure to stand upwind) once a week.

2. Eliminate allergens from your bedroom. Dust with a damp cloth, shake out bedding frequently, wash sheets in hot water to kill dust mites, use an allergy mattress protector on your mattress and your box springs. Mop or vacuum your floor. If possible, do not have carpet in the bedroom. Don't let pets sleep in your bedroom. No live plants either because of the dirt.

3. Take an antihistamine daily year-round. Find one that works and stick with it until it no longer works. I use generic Claritin. Start with the OTC antihistamines before going to prescriptions ones. Many OTCs are now in generic form and really cheap to purchase.

4. Consider going to a chiropractor. People who have regular adjustments tend to fight off allergies better.

5. If you know what you are allergic to, go to the health food store and purchase a bottle of BioAllers drops. They has specific formulas for specific problems. You put the drops under your tongue and it absorbs into your system. I have found them a great relief. Go to www.bioallers.com to read more about what they have. A bottle costs $10-11, but I use half the amount suggested with great results, so it lasts quite awhile.

6. Use unscented everything. That includes using original-scent Ivory soap and unscented Dove soap, the "free and clear" type of laundry detergents, absolutely no fabric softener sheets, no scented candles, low scent lotions and shampoos, unscented deodorant, no perfume. You need to avoid the chemicals used to make these scents. You will discover that the smell of "clean" is better than any fragrance.

7. Use only vinegar for cleaning. Mix 50/50 with water. Use bleach sparingly and only in a well-ventilated room.

8. Keep of diary of your symptoms and when and where they happen. If they are worse in the bedroom than in the living room, that is a clue. If they are worse in the car than outdoors, that's another clue. If they are worse in September than in February, again that is a clue. You may be able to track down the culprit on your own. And be sure to make note of any time or place where you have no symptoms.

9. Avoid smoke. That includes tobacco smoke, fireplaces, and brush pile fires.

Best of luck to you. I moved from FL to TN and found I had fewer allergies here, so you can't always go by the "facts" that the experts put out.


Homes for rent in the Franklin, TN area?
Q. I'm wanting to see what's available and the pricing for homes for rent in the Franklin, Leipers Fork, and anywhere outside of Nashville area. I've searched online and could not find much of anything and what I did find on a few websites has been large homes, which I'm just looking for 2 bedrooms. I was told I should look on craigslist, but upon contacting a few people and getting some questionable replies like them being out of the country for a job or something I would like to find places available elsewhere. Any suggestions on where to look (I am NOT in the area, so I can NOT go look at the local grocery store to see what's posted as suggested before)?

A. A great site for Middle TN is www.realtracs.com which is run by the Middle TN Realtors. You can select a county, then set your search parameters.

I would avoid Craigslist. I've heard too many horror stories about it. Stick to a real estate agency.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Did you or someone you know get married after age fifty?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment