Monday, May 6, 2013

Camping Room Ideas for a Toddler Boy?

Q. Our son has a camping theme room, fairly good size room. We painted it Limey Grassy Green and it has tan carpet and white ceilings with a white ceiling fan. He has 2 giant Leaves over his light wooden twin bed (leaves are from Ikea). He has camping themed bedding and bug sheets (although I'd be interested in finding another set of the bug sheets - we got the bedding set from Target on clearance a couple years ago). He has a matching lamp with scout patches on it. He has a nightstand and a dresser with a mirror on it. My dad is making him a canoe bookshelf (either red or navy blue). He just has regular blinds on his windows right now. Oh, and a big green bug light on his wall. Along the wall that the big leaves and his bed is on, we have his name letters - navy blue from Pottery Barn Kids. Any ideas for things to put on his dresser and bookshelf? Also, we could use 1 or 2 big pictures for his wall!

A. How absolutely FUN! I did one of my son's room in a similar theme many years ago! His was more western, but outdoorsy just the same. I used bright red bandannas to make a valance over his miniblinds, with the points hanging down. Looked really cute.

Some camping ideas...

Cover a round hassock/footstool in a wood grain pattern fabric, or use canvas and paint it to look like a tree stump.

Old bamboo fishing poles for a valance curtain rod, hang fabric (maybe a cute fish print? Run to the fabric store!) using thin rope or string tied as loops through grommets. Old oars would work too, or new ones brightly painted, and you could staple the fabric to the back and then mount them using L brackets over the window.

I love these! http://www.collectionsetc.com/Item50462.aspx

Glow in the dark decals in the shape of stars for his ceiling? They are available practically everywhere, check Walmart!

And where are the little darling's toys going? A little pup tent or teepee maybe? Or even a small inflatable raft or canoe to match the book shelf gramps is making!

A bug rug http://www.terrysvillage.com/tvweb/application?namespace=browse&origin=categoryDisplay.jsp&event=link.itemDetails&sku=91/3276&mode=Browsing&catDestinationJSP=/browse/categoryForward.jsp?categoryId=122686

Time can be directional! Paint a round clock face to look like a compass!

Oh, dear, I'm affraid I could go on and on the more I think about it. But one thing for sure, if it's a camping bedroom he NEEDS this, LOL! http://www.signals.com/signals/Shop-By-Theme_5AA/Nature_5AM/Item_Faux-Fireflies-Jar_HA7432_ps_cti-5AM.html

Just have fun with it! I'd love to be able to see what it turns into!


Should I cancel $6000 Pottery Barn Teen Order? Just found out furniture is made from MDF.?
Q. Should I cancell $5500 Pottery Barn Teen order? Just found out it is not solid wood.?

I am redoing my 12 year old daughters bedroom. She is getting all new furniture and bedding. She loves a set from Pottery Barn Teen. The set was very expensive but I decided to make the purchase anyways because the sales person convinced me that it is well made and solid wood. The description says solid wood as well. After I told my neighbor about the purchase she told me that Pottery Barn is not worth the price and that I am being mislead about the quality. She said it is mostly made of MDF and that for the price I am paying I should look for better quality. After she told me that she showed me on the website that if you click on Dimensions and care and scroll down it does say that the furniture is made of hardwood, veneer and MDF. For the past few hours I have been looking online for a similar look that is solid wood but I cannot find anything similar. I would even pay a little more money for quality solid wood furniture. I usually try to buy high quality heirloom type furniture. I have very little experience with Pottery Barn but I have always been under the impression that they are top quality. Was I wrong?

Here is a link to the furniture we just ordered.
http://www.pbteen.com/shop/teen-rooms/girls-bedroom-furniture/envsb-coraline-paisley-room/

http://www.pbteen.com/products/chelsea-vanity/?pkey=e%7Cchelsea%2Bvanity%7C2%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C2&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-

I ordered the bed, dresser, and vanity set. I also ordered some bedding and a few other things. I am considering canceling the order and trying to find someone local to make it for me. I would probly just have to buy the mirror and vanity/desk chair then. I don't want to go through all that trouble if this is good. Should I keep the set or cancel the order? Anyone know of a heirloom quality furniture company that has a style similar to the furniture in the link? Is MDF a bad thing?

A. You pay substantially more for Pottery Barn Teen furniture than it's actually worth. It's sort of like the Abercrombie & Fitch of furniture stores in the sense that you're paying more for a brand that is popular with teens than for the quality or originality of the product. I had several pieces when I was a preteen, and I loved some. Others were flimsy. My nightstand drawers could hold very little weight and got scratched up quickly. I switched to antique furniture made of solid wood when I was 13, and they are more durable. I did keep my PBTeen vanity and tall, revolving bookcase and now have them in the living room of my on-campus suite at college. They have held up fine. Most of the PBTeen pieces require assembly, which means that you can also disassemble them for better portability. Since they are made with MDF, they are lighter weight, which is also a perk if you're moving things around.

I would look for reviews of the specific pieces you ordered before deciding whether to cancel the order. Google the names and see if you can find feedback. Many online furniture retailers sell pieces that are made with MDF in China and shipped disassembled to the customer. Some are better quality than others. Whenever possible I think it's best to buy local, but depending on where you are, that might not afford you as many options. I would look into furniture shops in your home town that have a good reputation and see if there are styles your daughter likes in well-made pieces. Do your research on them. A lot of stores just sell the same cheap Coaster Furniture kinda of stuff that is still made with MDF. If you happen to be in the LA area I can recommend AFK Fine Furniture for Children, which also has pieces for preteens and teens. I have four younger siblings with rooms furnished by the store, and they're happy. As for bedding, PB Teen is fine. You can also look at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and even places like TJ Maxx, Target, and IKEA. They often have surprisingly cute options.

Your daughter has a nice eye for style. I hope all works out with her room.

~ skylark


How to I Make My Room Have a Gothic Lolita/Victorian Style?????(Best Answer Gets Full Points)?
Q. So I finally convince my parents that I wanted my room to have a Gothic Lolita/Victorian Style for when we move houses. So I need help on finding inspiration or places where I can buy bed spread,pillows,wall decor,etc. I already have a idea on color scheme the colors are currently Crimson Red,Black,Dark Purple,& Deep/Midnight Blue.

Thanks! :D

A. Sheets http://www.sininlinen.com/bedroom/sheet_sets/vine/ GREAT site!
Also try looking for decorative items at antique shops or tag sales, sometimes people get rid of great stuff. Places like Marshalls/Tj maxx might also have a few things that fit. You're lucky we're coming into halloween season now, you might be able to find really cute stuff (dont get junky cheap stuff tho) . Im talking check places like Pottery barn's halloween section (http://www.potterybarn.com/shop/accessories-decor/halloween-accessories/?cm_src=productsearch) Lots of great stuff there, its kind of expensive but if you don't want your room to look cheap you're going to have to spend a little ;) Also check out Martha Stewart's halloween section, shes goth as fk! Good luck ^_^





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Camping Room Ideas for a Toddler Boy?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment