Saturday, March 22, 2014

Setting up Wireless?!?




April


Okay, I'm kind of a wiz kid when it comes to computers, but I realised I know NOTHING about setting up a Wi-Fi connection.
I have an Dell Optiplex GX60 desktop computer with Windows XP and AOL Broadband via DSL and am soon purchasing a Laptop with Vista and would like to set it up so the Laptop can go wireless. The computer is in my living room, but I'd like to use the Laptop in my bedroom.

The Laptop comes with a WLAN: Integrated 802.11g Wireless LAN but as far as I know, the computer has no wireless adapter. However, I heard that the wireless adapters always go in the white pins inside the computer, and if so, this means it has one. (CAN SOMEONE CONFIRM THIS FOR ME PLEASE?)
If it doesn't, then I'm guessing I need a router (does anyone know which one or recommend any? does it depend on what type of Laptop/Desktop PC I have?), a pc wireless adapter, an Ethernet cable.... anything I've missed out?
Basically, I need a step-by-step guide for my current configuration....will give 10 pts
Thank you for the ONE answer I've had so far.
I meant the white pins in the computer NOT the laptop..
- Thanks.



Answer
What you really want to do is add a wireless router to the mix. You dont have to have a wireless unit in your desktop to have your laptop connect wirelessly.

Just get a router, much faster much easier to setup, cost about the same as adding a wireless adapter to your desktop. Normally most desktops DO NOT HAVE a wireless adapter since they sit in one place and can be wired.
You can buy an adapter -- it would pluginto the PCI slots (white plugs) and you could (not easy to do) configure it to share your internet connection but this is NOT the best method. A router plugs in outside your computer and is easy to setup. Much like your dsl modem.

Linksys, Dlink, Netgear, many others are good routers. I would suggest just checking local computer centers and office supplies. Find one on sale (normally around $30 - $40) and hook it up.

The router fits between your DSL line and the computers. Your desktop will just plug into the wired ports. You set the router up for the wireless then your Laptop can just connect to the system and your done.

37" LCD Olevia TV in my bedroom??




Crazy Legs


I recently purchased a 37" Olevia 537H HD LCD tv from www.buy.com. It should be arriving Tuesday. I am planning on putting it in my 14 x 12 bedroom. Do you have any suggestions as to getting the best theatre quality set up? I was thinking placing the TV high up in one corner, but I'm not sure. Any advice? Any knowledge about olevia? The reviews were pretty good, and the price was amazing...


Answer
You should set it up, to be viewed at eye level. Some tv's are not viewable for a good picture if your viewing it on too much of an angle. Check the users guide, to see how much of an angle it can be for good viewing. Good Luck, with your new hdtv. I just bought a 32" samsung, and we love it..Hook up surround sound when you get a chance, it's just like being in a theater..




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Setting up Wireless?!?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment