Friday, March 21, 2014

Can anyone tell me in detail what it's like to live in New Zealand?




Mayan*Myst


I am thinking of Immigrating to New Zealand from South Africa, Purly to get away from the terrible crime & Economic break down.. I am 24 & desperate to find out in detail things like average salaries (skilled level administrator), Qualified Firefighter, in comparison to food, nightlife, rent, cars etc.. please can someone help me with this??
Any thing?



Answer
I am from Texas and lived in Invercargill NZ from 1999-2004...my oldest son lives there now, and i visit annually.

The wages are a bit depressed compared to here in the states, and as far as cost of living goes it is hit and miss...Petrol prices are higher than the States, and eating out is MUCH more expensive. Nightlfe is comparable in price. But keep in mind there are lots of free outdoor activities like hiking etc. that are REALLY the toast of NZ.

Cars ( i sold cars there), are liek anywhere, you could spend very little or spend a fortune...for a serviceable car that will last a few years and get you from A to B...you will want to spend at least 7 or 8 thousand...but you get an ld junky set of wheels for $1000...or a new BMW for 150k....

featurecars.co.nz is a website you could look at for an idea, my buddy over there owns that car lot...he has his prices listed and pictures...

Violent crime is practically non-existent compared to the USA...petty theft and family violence is most of thei crime..but basically ZERO murders etc. I dont know of any SAFER plae to live than NZ...it is a really good plcefor yound families with kiddos. People generally dont lok there doors, and I even left my keys in the car overnight most nights lol.

Houses vary from region to region greatly...Auckland is REALLY expensive, and Queenstown is for the rich basically...Chrstchurch, Dunedin, Invercargill, Wellington and smaller cities have reasonable real estate ranging from 175k-500k and up...

I know right now in Invercargill you could get an awesome large 5 bedroom home for about 400k, or an older starter home for 175k..outside of the 3 large cities (Auckland, Christchurch, Wellinton) you really couldnt find an un-safe are to live in the whole country...

I must say that the food is lousy compared to the US, and similar to food in England...not alot of taste lol..but they have McD's, Burger King, KFC, Subway etc.
A Big Mac combo in NZ should run you about $7 these days..

A large meatlover's pizza from pizza hut delivered is about $17

In the deep south, i would say a family of 2 adults and 1 child could live comfrtably but modestly on an income of as little as 35,000/year...that wold be scraping buy though...60k/year and up wold afford a nice lifestyle in most of the South Island...

An experienced office worker should look to make anywhere between $12-15/hour..

I met a number of South Africans when i lived there who had also migrated and they were very happy with their move..they were mostly families looking to escape violence and turmoil, and they found NZ's slower pace and peaceful lifestyle very pleasing...as did I.

I dont know how much fireman get, i think there are alot of volunteer depts. but i know cops get about 40k/year to start...
New Zealand still has ALOT of agricultural and rural type jobs too and they generally pay good...Anything in the medical field pays very well...(nurse,doctor etc.)

My ex-father-in-law makes about 4k/month and he is the payroll coordinator for one of the regional hospitals...

Accounting always seems to have job listings too...not sure how well it pays...

A student working at McD's will get about $8/hour, and the manager probably makes about $12

As a car salesman on commission in a small town i made anywhere from 2500-5500 a month depending on business and sales...

Hope this helps, i could go on forever but this is getting long! lol

Good luck!

The most important thing to do before you move is to get a jon first, the job market can be tough there, but most jobs pay decent in line with the area's cost of living...just not as well as in the states...

Staying up at night worring about a break in?

Q. A lot of nights I'm in bed and I will hear a noise. I'll be terrified thinking my house is being broken into and he will kill me. I'll be up for hours just waiting and listening. I'll take my gun around downstairs and double check that all my doors are locked, and that no windows are broken and still be up for hours thinking I'm hearing things. I had an ex who was very abusive and I'm still terrified he'll get me since I left him and he went to prison for abusing me. It's been three years now since he got out of prison and I'm still scared. Is something wrong with me? Shouldn't I be over it by now?


Answer
He is probably abusing someone else now, and would have found you by now, if he was looking, and had the capability and resources (very few do). If he doesn't know where you live, your fears are unrealistic, and probably result from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, or you have developed/exacerbated an anxiety condition.

You could set movement alarms downstairs, or get a dog, and train it using a book, and the Pets > Dogs section at Y!A (or do the former, and have the dog in your bedroom [it would set off the motion detectors] at night). PTSD is addressed in sections 33 - 34, at http://www.ezy-build.net.nz/~shaneris and professional EMDR therapy is known to be effective. Anxiety: section 6 (view page N first).




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Can anyone tell me in detail what it's like to live in New Zealand?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment