Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Moving to NYC in 9 months?

Q. I made the decision about 2 weeks ago to move to the BIG APPLE!!! I've already started my research into apartments just to get an idea of average prices on 2 bedroom apartments. I've also been researching safe areas of different boroughs to keep my options open, checking out the subway system, and even some safety tips to living in the city. I have two questions that I'm having a hard time finding on the internet:
1.) I have been in the restaurant business for 5 years now with banquet waitress and a la carte training in a moderately formal setting. Obviously Manhattan would be the place to work. What restaurants or banquet halls should I look into? How much would I make per hour or on an average shift a night?
2.) I am already thinking of saving money because I have a few months to get a head start! I have the luxury of living at home with minimal rent and expenses, so saving shouldn't be a problem. Should I open a cd account to maximize my saving?
Thank you for all your answers


Answer
hey there, ok ....so, I am from NYC ....was there for about 18 years .....I've just move to St Louis.
I still love NYC, I left pretty much everything ....food, music, movies, bars, life, culture, central park, 5th ave, music label and bank jobs, greenwich village, Hunter's Point, Fort Tryon Park, DUMBO (google it), PS1, http://www.watersedgenyc.com/, www.porcaous.com, www.tavernonthegreen.com/, off off broadway shows, time warner building, concerts, friends, bars/venues where my fav singers performed, places where all the movies are shots, ....anyway I love NYC...love to give you any inputs ....
google the names ....you will see what I mean. Use those links...couple of my fav resturants.

2 BR will be about $1700+ in Manhattan. If you are single you are better off with a 1 big BR or studio apt, which will be $1100 or so in Manhattan. My gf's sister lives in Manhattan (76th and 3rd), pays about that much for a studio. Manhattan will be very 3x expensive. For long as I have known and lived NYC ....all the people who are in the service industry...they tend to live in Astoria (Queens), Long Island City (Q), Brooklyn, Sunnyside (Q) Washington Hts (near columbia U) ...all those Q places I mentioned....they are pretty much safe neighborhoods ....(if you want to get in to the convo about race/diversity and how it effects the neighborhood...I'd love to give you indepth details....email me jazzydude666@gmail.com)
anyway, where are you living now? why the move to NYC? You are in for an awesome adventure....
Not for me ...though....I moved St Louis earlier this year ...living with my gf, who also lived NYC for three years. She is originally from IL....anyway....would love to help you...so ask away.

Save a lot of $$$, CDs are good idea. you will be using the subway no matter where you are in nyc, therefore, monthly metrocard will be $80. Lunch? Noone have time to eat lunch in nyc....everyone is on the GO!!! ...There you will walk into fast food places....but here in midwest ...wtf ....drive thru culture....anyhow, I can go forever.

Bedroom Theme?




Jennifer B


I can't decide what bedroom theme to get. I really like acting so i'm thinking either Hollywood or like an urban or New york theme. Also if anyone has any tips. Thanx in advance :)


Answer
Well, I don't know what your budget is so I'll just give you some ideas. I've thaught of that look too. Your probably looking for the theatrical look, or a sense of artistic expression to get you inspired or it's just your inspiration.

The nyc look would probably lean toward the loft look, penthouse, or an obscene look of luxury with priceless artwork on the walls, or an antique look with a versatile look in culture and a display of books collected. A minimalist look too. Collections from different periods also. Also a work area to die for!

For Hollywood, I call it bollywood. It could range from anything, and any theme, depending on what your interest are from music, theater, filmography etc. I can't help but think of the andy warhol pictures displayed when it comes to hollywood style. Also, large portraits everywhere of the person living there.

You could try both. The best colors I can think of for you would be red (theatrical), black and white (new york). A suggestion would be to paint all your walls white, and paint the wall behing your bed a red color. Add some black accessories or furniture. You could also try painting your walls a very light grey with the 1 red wall. You could add silver/gold accessories. Or just silver.

Go to a used book store and buy some books with pictures of actors or musicians etc. When you get home decide which ones you like best and frame them or use spray adhesive and apply them to cardboard that fits the picture well (don't let the cardboard show). Appy them to the walls with clear, red, or black thumb tacks. Or use something else to apply to wall. I would go to the dollar store and buy some frames for a dollar, and spray paint them silver, gold, red or black.
OFCOURSE, IF YOU DON'T MIND BEING CRAFTY. I say this because, frames can get expensive, especially poster ones. You could opt for a poster of your favorite artist and frame it, or even a poster size picture of a NYC view. That would be nice. A night one with all those lights is cool.

Get a nice throw rug in red, white or black. For lights, try the modern silver standing ones for both sides of the bed, or track lights over your bed and above the art on the wall!

Paint can really set either look off. I'd also try thinking, maybe, black trim, white walls, and 1 red wall. I'm sure youv'e noticed the red carpet for special hollywood and new york events.

Hope that helped. If you come up with any ideas email me. I'm curious too! or if you have time, let me know what you decide.

M.S.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Moving to NYC in 9 months?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment