Thursday, January 16, 2014

How much would it take to build doll furniture?

bedroom set girls room
 on ... Girls Bedroom - Ideas For Decorating Teen Girls Bedroom | How to
bedroom set girls room image



Sir Walter


I am thinking of attempting to build like a bedroom and living room sets for 18 in. American Girl dolls to go in the top floor of,treehouse wich i am giving a transromation after cleaning it up. How long would it take to build the bedroom and leving room sets and what wood should i use???? How much $ would,it cost to buy wood and all the other stuff needed for building? What is the best wood for doll furniture . I have made doll bed and dresser before. The dresser turned out ok but the doll bed broke.
highly expenive an real looking.



Answer
"Doll furniture" can be easy and quick to make or more complex and take longer to make if highly realistic. Don't know which one you want. You also don't say the style of furniture you want to make though perhaps American Doll is associated with one style and I'm just unfamiliar with AD.

If you want to use wood, there would still be great differences in the resulting furniture items, realism, etc, depending on your skill and intentions, quality of the wood, type of paint/finish, degree of realism, etc.

There are lots of sites online and books at the library or book store that deal with making doll furniture from wood though:
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+make+American+Doll+furniture+wood
https://www.google.com/images?q=how+to+make+American+Doll+furniture+wood
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+make+fine+doll+house+furniture+wood
https://www.google.com/images?q=how+to+make+fine+doll+house+furniture+wood
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+make+American+Doll+furniture
https://www.google.com/images?q=how+to+make+American+Doll+furniture
and several books here:
http://www.amazon.com/Dennis-Simmons/e/B001K8HO6E/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1
http://www.amazon.com/Home-Decor-Dolls-Joan-Hinds/dp/0873495845/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1

Do you think I can rebuild my toyota camry transmission?




CrownJewel


I am not a get down and dirty type of girl by far. I have always called my husband in the room to kill a spider, but we have experienced many financial hardships over the past year and I have humbled myself and done lots of things I use to wouldn't dare. Such as picking up trash restoring it and making an awesome new restored bedroom set. Cleaning out a gross fridge in order to buy it at a steal of a price and save hundreds of dollars. Our car gave out on us a few days ago I had a mechanic come look at it and he's certain its the transmission. We can't afford the transmission let alone the labor. We have 3 girls Christmas is around the corner and we live in a city where we moved for strictly work purposes therefore have no family or friends. Needless to say we NEED this car. It's not really my preference to get my hands dirty but I WILL and CAN because I'm a smart girl and research and comprehension is second nature for me. Even as I state this if I am honest I think what might hinder me in this instance is I AM NOT GOOD AT LEARNING VIA WRITTEN DIRECTIONS. I CANT READ MAPS AND I HATE HOW TO MANUALS when it comes to things that have lots of small nuts and bolts and parts. I get confused easily and frustrated because I feel as though I don't understand. NOW ON THE OTHER HAND. I learn Quickly from listening and seeing and asking questions. I am the type of individual that no I dont know what the map says but I can navigate myself almost from anywhere as long as I know which direction I am heading. NO I CANT READ and put together my daughters canopy bed from that booklet but I can look at the parts on the bed and figure out where they go and what keeps them together in no time. If I read a how to manual there might be wording that confuses me but if I watch and listen to you put it together if something confuses me I am a great communicator and can ask a very specific question to gather an understanding. So I am not entirely helpless. Do you think never have working on a car in my life I can remove a transmission and rebuild it on my 2002 6 cylinder transmission or would I be able to follow instructions via skype from a mechanic?


Answer
First, you being a girl has nothing to do with whether you could handle rebuilding a transmission. That being said, there's a reason why people go to special schools to learn how to rebuild them is because there are so many different types and they are very complex machines.

OK, they're just gears and clutches. Granted. But if you don't get tolerances right, seals in proper order, clutch packs and bands tensioned properly, you're just turning the transmission into even more garbage.

Plus, you need a uniquely specific set of tools. By the time you buy the tools alone AND the parts to rebuild your transmission you've already spent more than what it would cost to buy a used transmission and install it.

Installing a transmission is fairly straight forward. And if you are savvy enough to look at a thing and understand how it comes apart and goes together then someone with a little knowledge could probably guide you through the process.

Finding a mechanic who would be willing to spend hours on skype with you while you do the work - well, Grandma has a better chance of being run over by a reindeer.

Since watching is your strong point, try searching on YouTube for videos that show the basics of how to remove and install a transmission. Then look to see if you can find a video on how to rebuild a transmission. You will notice the vast array of special tools you probably don't yet have. And getting them will not be cheap. So I think the best bet for you is to buy a used transmission from a junk yard, one with at least a 30 day guarantee. That way if you get it home and it's junk, yeah, you have to do the job again, but at least you either get your money back OR another transmission for another attempt.

But front wheel drive transmissions are more difficult to remove because of the need to pull the axel's out. There again you may find yourself in need of specialized tools.

When one can't afford to have something fixed, often they have to go without. Since it is the holiday season, maybe you can find someone willing to part with an old car for real cheap. I've seen people buy a car for $25.00 and keep it going for years. Don't expect to buy a Lexus in top condition for $25.00. Not unless you can find Mr. Scrooge RIGHT AFTER his Phantasmic visitors finished with him.

Good luck.

Happy Holidays.

'')




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How much would it take to build doll furniture?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment