Monday, February 10, 2014

Is it worth buying a bedroom set from room to go or at an antique thrift store?




Amy





Answer
I am a huge fan of decorating with used and mis-matched furniture. It ultimately will create a room with more character, it will cost less than buying new, it will stand the test of time better, it is more environmentally friendly. I especially like to buy furniture from Craigslist (private party listings, avoid dealers) where you can shop online, or thrift stores or garage sales to get silly low prices. It is also fun to hunt for the items that you want, and it becomes more personal to collect the items.

I bought my "dream" bedroom furniture sets (all matching) about ten years ago. I paid about $15,000 for each bedroom, in solid cherry wood. Now I feel really stuck with boring bedroom furniture. I also have a few pieces of furniture around the house that I bought more than 20 years ago at yard sales under $50 each that I still adore. The yard sale pieces (not antiques) are each interesting on their own, and look good anywhere I put them. Those are the pieces that people give me compliments on when they visit my home. Those are the pieces with personality.

I have a blog at http://jansseninteriors.blogspot.com where I discuss in most posts decorating with used furniture, I show photos of rooms that could be designed with used and eclectic furniture, I discuss using furniture in different ways, painting used furniture, and so on along those lines. There's lots of inspiration there. Just scrolling through the photos should give you some ideas of what you can accomplish.

Sorry for such a long answer, but I have strong feelings on the subject.

a yard sale?




kk


what would you like to be seen sold at a yard sale,and how much would you sell it?


Answer
Common household objects that have use and do not just sit (no trinkets). If they are in great shape then I usually sell them starting around 25%-$30% of their new retail value. If in poor shape then I take what I can get for it, usually starting at 10-15% retail value.

Examples:
Kitchen-Silverware, dishes, pots/pans, glass bakeware small appliances (like mixers) and utensils go quickly.

Bath- hairdryer, hair appliances (curlers etc), candles not burned, soap holder dishes

Living room- furniture, coffee tables, end tables, electronics stuff (live TVs DVDs players and movies,

Kids' rooms- TOYS!!! Also kids clothes usually go well. Baby items are hot--anything-strollers, highchairs, etc etc etc

Bedroom- electronic items, alarm clocks, adult clothes, radios or Cd players, etc

Backyard- old toys, any yard tools that aren't being used.

Misc-- hobby items, such as musical instruments, cameras, train sets, model airplanes, playstation or Xbox, sewing machines or craft kits, scrapbooking supplies like scissors and stamps, sports stuff like bats/balls/gloves, racquets, skates.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Is it worth buying a bedroom set from room to go or at an antique thrift store?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment