Wednesday, September 4, 2013

the cost of living in the in the philippines?

bedroom set philippines
 on Bedroom Set Collezione Europa Furniture - Serbagunamarine.com
bedroom set philippines image






is it very expensive to live in in the philippines as compared to the united states my main concern is the doctors and medication,s there is it expensive is the food very high or is it about like living in america?. if i move there i will be living in san-juan phlippines with my wife to be.


Answer
this question comes up weekly in one form or another. My first reaction when I see this is that it seems you have never been here. If that is the case please stop and think first. I have lived in the Philippines for over 10 years total, permanently for the last 7. I love it and would not want to retire anywhere else, but with that said it is not for everyone. you need to explore a little before you made such a decision. (including getting married). Consider three trips to get an better overview. if she loves you what is a year wait.

cost of living can be very reasonable but it can also be high if ground rules about helping family is not set first. you may end up with a number of brother in laws never working since you are doing the support.

Food is inexpensive and other cost of living good. I live very nicely in the Subic Bay area on about $1000 a month. That is a three bedroom apartment about 50 meters from beach, part time housekeeper, utilities, cable, internet food and all the other basics.
in my area doctors are inexpensive, about 300 peso for a office visit. hospitals reasonable and good. Health insurance depends on age. I am 57 and a full insurance for me is about $100 a month

If you have an Kindle you may want to get the kindle version of the Subic Bay Retirement guide below. it only $3. if not get the paperback. while it is geared towards Olongapo it does have good break down of what to expect for cost of living. it also has related topics

Cheap AND Safe areas to rent an apartment or condo in Manila?




shortpc89


Does anyone know any safe and cheap areas in Manila to rent an apartment or condo? Yes, it HAS to be both safe AND cheap. Makati is full of pre-selling units...I don't have the money to invest and wait for a turn-over. Cubao has some apartments for rent but Cubao has a bad reputation. Ortigas and/or Pasig City were also on my mind but I haven't found any in those areas either and flood warnings are high in that area during typhoon season.
@David - dude, you're delusional. Saying that the entire country is cheap and safe would make you inexperienced. How long have you lived here? I've lived in the country for two years and there have been so many stories of robbery and theft, it's not even funny. Making you a foreigner makes life a lot risky and dangerous. Philippines is a wonderful country where people respect foreigners but you still have to be on the alert at all times because this is a third-world country.

@the guy who made the first post - those prices sound reasonable, however I'm looking for a price that is around 10k-12k for a 1BR or studio unit.
@ken, yes I plan on long term but I'm hoping to get a 1 month, 3 month, or 6 month lease. I will have a friend living with me as well.
meant to say J3n, not ken....lack of sleep impairs my thinking
@David, again....you're delusional....office workers earn 8k monthly? really? dude, my last 2 office jobs in the Philippines...my monthly salary was 16k and that was AFTER taxes. 8k is probably the salary for entry level workers in the province but not in Manila. There s no way an apartment or condo would have a monthly rental of 80k...that's waaaay too expensive. Try to live in the Philippines and do your research before you start saying stuff.
@Paul - I respect your answer but putting someone down because they are American is disrespectful. I'm considered a foreigner (born and raised in the US) but I'm actually a fil-am. I bring my girlfriend with me who is a filipina and a UP graduate...I've never been "duped" or offered high prices before. I always receive the same brochure and price rates as everyone else. Accusing someone of getting higher prices because of who they are is foolish. If you know who to associate yourself with and how to act, you can be treated equally as everyone else....IF you're smart.
@Paul - Putting someone down because they are American is disrespectful. I'm considered a foreigner (born and raised in the US) but I'm actually a fil-am. I bring my girlfriend with me who is a filipina and a UP graduate...I've never been "duped" or offered high prices before. I always receive the same brochure and price rates as everyone else. Accusing someone of getting higher prices because of who they are is foolish. If you know who to associate yourself with and how to act, you can be treated equally as everyone else....IF you're smart. And another thing, do some research. Prices DO go above 18k in many apartment and condo places. It all depends where you go.



Answer
I can easily answer your question because I understand the condo market in certain parts of metro Manila. I also own a condo at Robinson Place Ermita and have two smaller rentals, which have long term tenants

The average rent for a condo at Robinson Place, Ermita. rent prices varty depending upon which floor the unit is on, and particular view.

Small studio 37 square feet 16,000 to 18,000 Pesos
Studio unit, 48 square meters 20,000 - 25,000 pesos
One Bedroom 67 square meters 25,000 to 30,000 Pesos
Two bedroom 100 square meters 30, 000 to 40,000 Pesos

I also know of a much cheaper place on P. Burgos Street in Makati, on the same strip where there are several night clubs. The Virra Building is an older building constructed back in the mid 1970's. The building is old,but all of the common areas are spotless cleaned. Meaning the building is well maintained, just that because the building is old and each suite has a different owner, in some units there are critters. That said; you need to be selective in your particular unit you select to rent.

Unlike Robinson Place where the unit owners will expect a lease agreement for a minimum of one year and in some situations may rent out for six months, at the Virra Building they are set up for daily, weekly, and months rental plans. What is also good about the Virra Building is your landline, TV Cable, all furniture, kitchenware to include Pots and pans, and all cooking utensil's, bedroom blankets/linen, bath towels and appliances are included. Units are rented out completely furnished, whereas in Robinson's Place, a furnished unit will cost much more. My wife and I have stayed in the Virra building several extended visits before and after we purchased our other condo's and properties. Need some place to stay where other places are rented out. It is my opinion that the Virra Building has the most reasonable rates for the Makati area and overall a fabulous deal because i consider the rental prices much cheaper than their competers.

A few years back when the global economy was much better my wife and I rented a one bedroon unit at the Virra Building for 25,000 Pesos and later after family and friends terminated their visit we down sized to a studio for 15,000 pesos. In recent months I have been informed the rent has not changed that much.

Another option is Cityland condo units kitty corner from Robinson Place, Padre Fuara, Ermita. They have studio units, real small 21 to 25 square meter units that rent out unexpensive.

Both areas I mentioned Makati and Ermita are fairly safe. I have lived in both areas and have never experienced any problems. Almost forgot, compared to Robinson and Cityland, the Virra Building is better for those who what to find a safe suitable place to settle down for short term stay while finding more upscale place to live. Also keep in mind there are many Americans and wealthy Filipino's living in this building


UPDATE: Dave indicated I maybe confused and only expect to pay 1,500 Pesos (About $37.00 USD) for a suitable rental condo for one month. Dave's information is very inaccurate. There is no God's earth a suitable condo rental can be found in where in the Philippines for that price.

To reassure you and others I am NOT confused, I will provide some back ground information for credibility and hopefully provide others some insight. This information is public anyway to those who now how to use popular internet search engine Google to research my name ken rice+ Philippines. I have lived, worked and have made substantial investments in the Philippines my whole adult life. The first time I lived and worked in the Philippines was back in Aug 1980 when I only 19 years old active duty US Air Force military police stationed at Clark Air Base, Angeles City. I worked closely with the Philippine Constabulary (Now Philippines National Police PNP) and local officials. During my military career I lived and worked in the Philippines two tours, a total of six years Aug 1980- Aug 1983 and again from Oct 1985-Oct 1988. Since I left Clark I have made almost annual investments to look after my investments until I retired from the military. After I retired I moved to the Philippines, wife and I lived there for several years before returning to the states in Year 2006. Since than we divide our time between our home in Oregon and condo in Ermita. My wife and I also own a third home and several investment properties. Rest assure I am not confused. I have been around a very long time and know exactly what I am posting. My only goal is to share my knowledge to assist others in their quest for knowledge when it comes to Philippines Travel.

Lastly check Cityland in Ermita. Their rentals are very reasonably priced. You may be able to find a place at Cityland within your price budget.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: the cost of living in the in the philippines?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment