Friday, June 13, 2014

Is $6,000 too much for a bedroom set?







I'm thinking about buying a bedroom set for my daughter. It includes a Full Bed, Armoire, End Table, Media Stand, Desk, Chair, and Dresser. Is $6,000 too much? Thanks for helping, I'm not good with deals.
It is from pottery barn. http://www.pbteen.com/shop/furniture-collections/chelsea-furniture/
I was planning on getting exactly what I listed.
My family is pretty good income wise. And I just don't know because I know I could find something cheaper but it looks really nice...? so confused.



Answer
People have gotten so used to places that sell a whole room for $999, that better furniture seems outrageous in price. Do not be deceived. You get what you pay for.

A $6000 bedroom should last you several generations. Just be sure it is wood and not cardboard or fiberboard in the hidden areas. Pottery Barn sells decent products. They are not going to end up in a museum, but they meet the needs and tastes of most people. Good, sturdy, well designed, contemporary, interesting. Go for it.

Should I cancel $6000 Pottery Barn Teen Order? Just found out furniture is made from MDF.?




E


Should I cancell $5500 Pottery Barn Teen order? Just found out it is not solid wood.?

I am redoing my 12 year old daughters bedroom. She is getting all new furniture and bedding. She loves a set from Pottery Barn Teen. The set was very expensive but I decided to make the purchase anyways because the sales person convinced me that it is well made and solid wood. The description says solid wood as well. After I told my neighbor about the purchase she told me that Pottery Barn is not worth the price and that I am being mislead about the quality. She said it is mostly made of MDF and that for the price I am paying I should look for better quality. After she told me that she showed me on the website that if you click on Dimensions and care and scroll down it does say that the furniture is made of hardwood, veneer and MDF. For the past few hours I have been looking online for a similar look that is solid wood but I cannot find anything similar. I would even pay a little more money for quality solid wood furniture. I usually try to buy high quality heirloom type furniture. I have very little experience with Pottery Barn but I have always been under the impression that they are top quality. Was I wrong?

Here is a link to the furniture we just ordered.
http://www.pbteen.com/shop/teen-rooms/girls-bedroom-furniture/envsb-coraline-paisley-room/

http://www.pbteen.com/products/chelsea-vanity/?pkey=e%7Cchelsea%2Bvanity%7C2%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C2&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-NoMerchRules-_-

I ordered the bed, dresser, and vanity set. I also ordered some bedding and a few other things. I am considering canceling the order and trying to find someone local to make it for me. I would probly just have to buy the mirror and vanity/desk chair then. I don't want to go through all that trouble if this is good. Should I keep the set or cancel the order? Anyone know of a heirloom quality furniture company that has a style similar to the furniture in the link? Is MDF a bad thing?



Answer
You pay substantially more for Pottery Barn Teen furniture than it's actually worth. It's sort of like the Abercrombie & Fitch of furniture stores in the sense that you're paying more for a brand that is popular with teens than for the quality or originality of the product. I had several pieces when I was a preteen, and I loved some. Others were flimsy. My nightstand drawers could hold very little weight and got scratched up quickly. I switched to antique furniture made of solid wood when I was 13, and they are more durable. I did keep my PBTeen vanity and tall, revolving bookcase and now have them in the living room of my on-campus suite at college. They have held up fine. Most of the PBTeen pieces require assembly, which means that you can also disassemble them for better portability. Since they are made with MDF, they are lighter weight, which is also a perk if you're moving things around.

I would look for reviews of the specific pieces you ordered before deciding whether to cancel the order. Google the names and see if you can find feedback. Many online furniture retailers sell pieces that are made with MDF in China and shipped disassembled to the customer. Some are better quality than others. Whenever possible I think it's best to buy local, but depending on where you are, that might not afford you as many options. I would look into furniture shops in your home town that have a good reputation and see if there are styles your daughter likes in well-made pieces. Do your research on them. A lot of stores just sell the same cheap Coaster Furniture kinda of stuff that is still made with MDF. If you happen to be in the LA area I can recommend AFK Fine Furniture for Children, which also has pieces for preteens and teens. I have four younger siblings with rooms furnished by the store, and they're happy. As for bedding, PB Teen is fine. You can also look at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and even places like TJ Maxx, Target, and IKEA. They often have surprisingly cute options.

Your daughter has a nice eye for style. I hope all works out with her room.

~ skylark




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Is $6,000 too much for a bedroom set?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment