Saturday, May 17, 2014

Any Tips on moving to Los Angeles?




Nicholas J


I am 20 years old and live in Sandusky (from movie Tommy Boy) Ohio. I went to the University of Toledo last year, but moved home this year to save money to move to LA. I, don't however, live with my parents. I live in a house in Sandusky with 4 room mates. To save time, I already know how expensive it is there. Through online calculations, I need to make $36,000 a year to live my current $20,000 lifestyle. I am looking for 1 bedroom apartment for about 1250 a month in a good neighborhood. I have a decent, small car that should be able to get me around for a few years. I know about traffic, the fake people, the scams and the crime rates. I have a small understanding of the different neighborhoods. I have already researched apartments and I am going to take a short-term lease at first to get an idea on more of my budget. I have no problem putting in 60 hours a week to afford to live. Please, don't answer with "don't go to LA". It is already set in stone. I am a guy. Thanks.


Answer
Do it dude. Come on down. Rent is expensive here, but if you plan on working a couple of jobs, you should be okay. You can find a pretty decent 1br apt. for 1250/month. I recommend you look into Los Feliz Village, Eagle Rock, Glendale, and Atwater Village. Those places are all pretty decent and located about 20 minutes from just about everything in L.A. Sandusky, awesome dude. I loved Tommy Boy. hehe. L.A. is not as bad as people make it seem. I've lived here my whole life and I've never been robbed, shot at, beaten or antything. I don't even live in the best neighborhoods. Good luck!

I'm moving to Los Angeles in 2 weeks for a new job. I'm going to rent. Which neighbourhood is good?




Allan


I'm going to work in Westwood area near UCLA. I prefer to live in a safe neighbourhood. Hopefully the rent is not too $$$. I don't mind driving to work or taking public transportation.


Answer
Hi Allan - I work at UCLA so I know the area quite well. Westwood itself is a nice area to live in but it's very busy and very expensive. The neighborhoods to the north are Beverly Glen, Brentwood, Bel Air etc and you would have to be a multi-millionaire to live there. More affordable would be West Hollywood (lots of gay guys so that would have to not bother you), Mid-Wilshire area (but not Korea Town), the west side is an okay place to live as well like Santa Monica, the Palisades, Venice all very expensive. It's hard to help you out when I don't know your budget constraints but I believe as long as you have about $2,000 a month for rent (one bedroom) you will be fine.

Please keep in mind that LA does not have much in terms of public transportation so you'd likely be driving. Even a few miles will take a long time in a car. If you are really set on public transportation then the transportation system in Westwood is probably the best since it has a lot of UCLA college students rather than the usual transients and crazy people. Street driving in LA is awful regardless of what time of day you are doing it.

No areas of the inner city are really "safe" unless you want to pay big bucks to live in Bel Air or some patrolled area like that. If you want more of a commute there ARE safe areas outside of LA but you'd be looking at about an hour commute.

If you want more information from LA locals on a relocation message board check out www.city-data.com and their forums:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/los-angeles/
On the website (it's free by the way) you can get all the local info and basics like weather, population demographics and then on the forum you can ask the locals about commuting time, neighborhoods, safety, schools, jobs etc. "Fastfilm" on the Los Angeles forum is the resident expert.

Please make sure that before coming to Los Angeles that your job will be paying enough for you to live a comfortable life in LA otherwise you will likely be miserable with the overpopulation, traffic and polluted air. By comfortably, I mean you would need a yearly income of about $110,000 preferably more than that especially if you want to live in a safe area. Good luck!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Any Tips on moving to Los Angeles?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment