Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Will a floor hold a 75 gal. Aquarium?

king bedroom sets 75 off
 on ... PC-SET-401-B-K-ATQ Cancun Palm 4 Piece King Bedroom Set in TC Antique
king bedroom sets 75 off image



Jon D


Now this may sound like a stupid question. I am thinking about setting up a 75 gallon aquarium in my bedroom. It's on the second floor though and I'm not sure whether it will hold. I know it probably will but just makin sure. 75 gallons is just shy of half a ton, plus I already have a 30 gallon. I don't know anything technical about the house but it's about 35 years old. Thanks!


Answer
That's 600 lbs. plus the stand and the 30 gallon. Think about people that put their king sized water beds on the 2nd floor of an apartment building. I live in a mobile home with a 45 hex, a29 on the top of a stand with a 20 on the bottom; two 15's next to them 5 -10's and various 2 to 5 gallons. Not to mention the buckets for water changes plus the 1/2 and 1 gallon Betta jars. Crap! I just added that up. That's over 1,600 pounds in my bedroom!! Your probably better off in the 35 year old house. Back then they used real wood most of the time not particle board and 2 by 10,s for floor joists. Putting the tank next to the wall uses the strength of the wall as opposed to the middle of the floor. Unlike a water bed.

How can I get the cool end of my terrarium down to 65 degrees?




Gray


Is there a way to keep the cool end of my terrarium at consistent 60 degrees at night and 65 degrees during the day?

A few things about the placement and set up of my tank:
I have a King Snake in a 40B tank. It stays in my closet because I have cats who like to torment her. During the day when the basking light is on I leave the closet doors open with the bedroom door closed. At night when the light is off I keep the closet doors closed. The tank is also on the floor so the under tank heater is on the side. The warm end stays about 80 degrees during the day and drops to 75 at night. My problem is that the cool end never drops down past 74 degrees. I have considered a lower wattage bulb but I'm afraid that it will cool down the warm end too much.

If anyone has any advice I would love to hear it!
Thanks! -Ashley



Answer
Personally, I never have cooled down the tank past 70, so its not a problem at 75. But, if you buy a thermostat specifically for reptiles, just plug in your heating element, adjust to desired temp, and the thermostat will automatically control the temp of your cage.
Here is the link to a great thermostat that I prefer, I have 8 of them for all 18 of my herps it comes in 500 or 1000 watt systems:

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/thermometers-thermostats-and-timers/-/zilla-500-watt-temperature-controller/

I hope this helps and good luck. It's nice to see another girl interested in reptiles. Most scream and run away when confronted by a mere garter snake.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Will a floor hold a 75 gal. Aquarium?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment