Wednesday, December 18, 2013

How much should I expect to pay for gas and electric in Detroit?

bedroom set 300
 on twin_bedroom_set_300_summerlin_9338810.jpg
bedroom set 300 image



Eden


I'm moving into a three bedroom, two story house in Detroit with two other girls. Water is included but gas and electric are not. How much can we expect to add to our rent every month? We are all students and work so we won't be there during most of the day. I know it depends on a lot, but a rough estimate would be appreciated!

Thanks!



Answer
I live just outside of Detroit, but use Detroit utilities. It's just me and my husband, who travels a lot. My house, at 1800 sq. ft., may be a bit smaller than yours and is only 10 years old with good insulation. So, you're right, "it depends on a lot". But to give you an idea...

Your electric is charged per KWH (kilowatt hour). Right now, in the "D" it's about 11 cents per kilowatt hour. I used 413 KWHs in March and my electric bill was $46.00. Of course, once I start to use my air conditioner, that will go way up. Last Summer my electric bills ran from $60-$80 (I keep it set real high when I'm at work). So the faster that dial on the meter spins, the more you pay.

My gas bills were around $1.10 per CCF. In March my gas bill was $120.00. Many of my friends' bills were over $300.00 - houses not as well insulated. (we had this same discussion at work). Though you won't be using the furnace in the Summer, the 3 of you will be using hot water (usually heated with gas). Last Summer my gas bills were only around $30.00 a month.

So "dial down" and conserve the best you can and limit your runs to Starbucks *!*

Be safe in Detroit!

How much should I set aside for a monthly power bill?




Anonymous


It will be me and a roommate in a 2 bedroom apartment in Birmingham, Alabama. How much on average is your power bill? How much do you think we should set aside every month for our power bill?


Answer
height of ceilings? what is the thermostat settings? Lights left on? square footage? electric hot water heater? Electric range?

Guessing? between $100-300 per month split which ever way you like.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How much should I expect to pay for gas and electric in Detroit?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment