Saturday, December 21, 2013

Can I paint my bedroom set & if so how?

bedroom set parts
 on master bedroom set mama and papa get a sophisticated bedroom set for ...
bedroom set parts image



Char


My husband & I recently bought a bedroom set off of Ebay. And while it isn't exactly our style we've decided to make due with it. I would however like to darken in up a bit using paint. The set includes a headboard, long dresser, two mirrors and tall chest/armoire. The problem is that the set is made of half wood and half plastic. Odd! I know. The plastic decorative parts cannot be removed. Can I paint this set? Prime and spray paint it perhaps? And if so, what kind of paint do I use? Thanks in advance.


Answer
My hubby and I have painted veneer furniture to make it look for modern contemporary. Here is how we do it. First lightly sand. Then spray with that spray primer that looks terra cotta colored. After that is dry spray with flat black paint. Start at the edges making them dark and work your way toward the middle so that a little bit of the primer shows through. Let dry a little bit and then spray with a polyurathane varnish either in matt or gloss. While the poly is still wet lightly, very lightly brush with the grain back and forth to make it look a little like wood grain. It will be dark but a little lighter toward the middle parts of each peace. Go to some furniture stores and look at some of the dark wood peices to see what I mean.

Also I did this to a dresser that we use in our office. It is a piece from the '70s an very contemporary in style. It was already a medium colored wood but I applied a darker stain with a rag and let dry. Took a while though. After that I took another lighter stain and a rounded brush and dabbed the stain on. I would kinda swish the brush to give it a mottled /burled look. We have gotten a lot of complements on how pretty it is. Experiement, you never know what you will come up with

Is there a big difference between coffee and espresso colored furniture?

Q. I am trying to complete a bedroom set by purchasing different parts from different sets. The headboard I bought was beautiful, but the dressers and armoires weren't. So I'm putting together my own "set". I would consider my headboard to be an espresso color and there is a dresser online that is considered "coffee" color. There are other dressers that are espresso but I L0VE this dresser. If I were to purchase it would the colors be totally off?


Answer
Espresso is nearly black Coffee is a very dark brown ..As far as the colors being off...yes depends on their proximity and the lighting too. PLus the colors are wildly different manufacturer to manufacturer. It could work especially if it is multitoned.. What I would do is take a photo that accurately represents the color of the headboard and email it to them but their monitors could be skewed.

Espresso ---> http://futonfurnituregallery.net/images/Expresso.jpg
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/02/17/13/92/0002171392522_500X500.jpg
Coffee ---> http://www.computerdeskinfo.com/s/10027/MyProducts/coffee_finish_computer_armoire_2.jpg
http://www.discountpooltables.ca/images/burlington_coffee_lg.jpg




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Can I paint my bedroom set & if so how?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment