Saturday, December 7, 2013

How do I get my new cat to come out from under the bed?

bedroom set guide
 on ... guide see more home bedroom furniture bedroom sets henley bedroom set
bedroom set guide image



Leigh


I just adopted a cat(they think she is a domestic shorthair but I'm positive she has some persian in her) and she won't come out from under my bed. I have the door closed to my bedroom and her litter box, food, and water are all in the closet. She comes out at night while I'm sleeping to get food and use the litter box. I know that I need to give her time but the thing is I don't think she is really used to people. She doesn't seem to be afraid, she actually seems quite content and happy under the bed, I'm just worried that she is so content there that she will never come out for people. She was a stray before brought into the shelter so I think she's not really used to human interaction. I try to give her a couple hours by herself then I go into the room and lay on the floor so she can see me for a little while. I've seen that some people say to sit with the cat so they get used to you, but I've also seen people say to ignore the cat until they want you. So what do you think I should do? Please help! Thank you!


Answer
Good observation! Sometimes this happens with rescue groups who aren't top notch. They don't observe their animals and they put them up for adoption when perhaps they should have gone into foster care for socialization.

First off, let me tell you that your cat is behaving normally. About 75 percent of the cats do the same thing. You may be ready to love it to bits but for all the cat knows you want to chop it to bits. Nobody knows what kind of past it had, what it had to endure as a stray, or what was done to it before it became a stray. So the process starts now, with you to teach it that a human doesn't mean violence or harm. You have to have lots of patience and if you run out go borrow some.

The cat is in a dark hole (under the bed) where it feels safe. So whatever you do, don't try to grab it and pull it out! In fact, make no grabs at the cat ever or you'll set back the earning trust part to square one. Someone said don't look the cat in the eyes. This is true. Why? In the cat world outside where it used to live a cat looks it in the eye it means, I'm here, I want to kill you, I want your mate or your food or your home. It's aggression. Look at the cat's nose or side of the face and blink slowly a few times. In the cat world that means, I'm here and I mean no harm. If the cat blinks back slowly, it got the message and is saying the same thing.

Lay on the floor or sit, read out loud from the paper or a book just sit and read. You are getting the cat used to your voice and that nothing bad will happen when it hears your voice. Have treats ready because if it comes out you're going to teach it only good things happen and treats are one of them. At this point you don't know if the cat even knows how to play with toys so a kitty teaser may look like a weapon. I wouldn't recommend waving one of those around yet. A long shoelace that you can drag and interest it might be better. I'll paste in some links for you. One of them is socialization of a feral; however, I don't think you have a feral cat you'd have known if it was in a carrier when you brought it home. If it hasn't been growling then not a feral and if it meows definitely not a feral but you might find helpful hints in the article.

Put the food out of the closet away from the litterbox and monitor how much food and water are being consumed. You can wear a shirt all weekend, sweat in it or sleep in it and then give it to the cat to sleep on under the bed because it will have your scent and she'll learn your scent means safety. Another way to bond with her. Very best of luck. A few weeks of bonding and a life time of love!

http://www.petfinder.com/cats/bringing-a-cat-home/tips-for-first-30-days-cat/

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/bonding-with-your-new-kitten

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/cat-behavior/socializing-your-kitten

http://www.alleycat.org/page.aspx?pid=292

http://www.catinfo.org/?link=litterbox - best info ever

http://pets.webmd.com/features/keeping-indoor-cat-happy

http://pets.webmd.com/cats/ss/slideshow-foods-your-cat-should-never-eat

How much could I charge to rent out my house?




Mom2beauti


We live in North East North Carolina and may have to relocate for my husbands job. We don't want to sell the house until the housing market goes up so we are considering renting it out instead. It is 1800 sq ft 3 bedrooms, 2 and half baths. Master suite has large bathroom and large walk in closet. Attached garage, fenced in back yard. House is on about 1/8 acre. Brand new stainless steel appliances in kitchen. House was just finished being built in the beginning of November 2012. Will also leave our washer and dryer. Any help figuring out a reasonable price we could ask for our house would be appreciated.


Answer
The advice you got to check out craigslist is pretty good in my opinion. We own a home in Boone, NC that we have rented out for about 4+ years now. I've always used craigslist as my guide to find out what similar properties were renting for and set my rent accordingly. That has worked great for me.

If you're a new landlord be prepared to carefully check out whomever you decide to rent to. I've had to learn the hard way that great people in appearance can turn in to nightmare tenants. Check references no matter what! Also ask yourselves if you really want to be long distance landlords. I live about an hour from our rental and it can be a real pain if I need to take care of something suddenly. I can't imagine being hours away and dealing with problems long distance.

Renting it can be a great way to hang on to it and create a nice nest egg for yourselves but it can also be a huge headache. The additional income we have off the house has been a blessing but it has in no way been a free ride like I naively expected in the beginning. Being a landlord has been a real eye opener for me as to how some people live and do or don't take care of your property. If you're prepared for all of that you'll do great. If not..... well you may want to rethink selling and determine the pros and cons doing so.

I know this all didn't speak specifically to the price you can charge but I hope this gave you some guidance and info that will be helpful. Good luck to you!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How do I get my new cat to come out from under the bed?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment