Saturday, September 28, 2013

Why is owning a home important in life?

bedroom set for sale by owner
 on Full Bedroom Sets Sale on Geneva Full Bedroom Set By Woodland
bedroom set for sale by owner image



Lolzr


What are some good reasons for owning your own home. I have some reasons on why it isn't but I rather not say so that I don't interfere in your answers so please give some evidence or support behind your statements.


Answer
Lolzr,

First let me say that owning a home is not important in life--that's the old American dream talking. In fact, two of my 3 adult children rent rather than own, and renting is without a doubt the wiser and more enjoyable way to go for them.

Having said that, and acknowledging that there are plenty of cons that go with home ownership, I will tell you why owning a home is important to me personally:

--my home is part of who I am. It belongs to me, not someone else.
--my home makes me more part of my neighborhood, and more connected with my neighbors who are also homeowners [I once rented a home in a home-owning neighborhood, and the neighbors really didn't want to get to know me because they viewed me as a 'transient.' Which I was]].
--owning a home rather than renting, generally speaking, will put you in a more traditional kind of neighborhood environment, which I like. Instead of living in an apartment-like or condo-like setting, I live in a neighborhood of single family homes where people are out and about putzzing around in theri gardens and garages and out walking their dogs. I like that.
--owning a home means that I am among a lot of other dog owners and dog walkers. It's a great way to meet and chat with people.
--I can do what I want with my own home. I can paint the walls a different color, bump out a wall if I want a bay window to look out, etc.
--I can live in larger square footage, have extra bedrooms, space that I wouldn't be willing to pay for if I were renting. Thus, owning my own home means I have more space to live in. That includes a bigger kitchen and 2 1/2 baths.
--my home is the Keeper of my Kids' Stuff. One feels like a good parent when one's kids feel that they can store their stuff in your basement, knowing that their stuff will be safe.
--I feel safe to own a dog, or dogs, without fearing that I might have to give up the dog if my rental situation should change down the road. People who own pets are limited in their choice of places to rent. I don't like that feeling, of being excluded from some places to live.
--I'm the one in control of where I live. Related to dog ownership above. My dogs are like children to me--I don't want to live fearing that I might have to let them go because someone else has more power to say whether I can keep them or not than I myself may have.
--Since it's mine, and I have no plans or desire to move, I can 'settle in' to it--into my own home. I've been able to turn part of my basement into an exercise room with a stationary bike, weights, a TV, etc. I couldn't/wouldn't do that as a renter.
--Owning a home is expensive, but the equity from its sale can be passed down to my children in my will.
--owning a home gives me a sense of security. It makes me feel rooted.
--I think my children like it, the feeling of 'coming back home' to Mom and Mom's and Dad's house raher than to Mom and Dad's apartment.
--Because I own it, I can re-landscape and remodel the exterior, with an eye to good architecture, so that the home's appearance will be valued not just by me but by future residents of my community. It will be my legacy--my little gift of beauty to my little corner of the world when I am gone.

I am moving to California and my mom and I are trying to figure out how to sell stuff on Craig list?




Lenika


We are moving as said above, and it will be a MUCH smaller place. We are living in a 6000 square foot home looking to move into a 2000 square foot home. We need to sell out things on craigslist but do not understand how. What does my mom have to do to sell them. What does she click on to sell furniture, a treadmill, an elliptical, and other items. Thank you so much for your help!


Answer
There are two options she can use for this. The first is to have a garage sale. There is a section called Garage and Moving Sales. She'll need to put the date, the time, and the address. It's a very good idea to list some of the items for sale and the price.

The second thing she can do is to post ads. First, she should set up an email account that will only be used for Craigslist. I recommend hotmail or gmail. This is so that if the email gets spammed, it won't affect her normal email account.

Then, she should look at the categories and combine items that are similar. She should try for no more than about five or six ads. More than that, and she looks spammy. Do not put the exact address in the ad, but have the people replying back ask for the address. This helps identify spam responders.

A good example of an ad to use is below. It explains why you have a lot of things for sale (stores will try to post as By Owner, and they can be spotted by the number of ads!), it gives allergy information, and it includes two street intersections. Smart craigslist users can put those two streets into the search box and find your other four or five ads.

"Living room and bedroom furniture" (your subdivision) (empty price field)

"I am downsizing and selling several pieces of furniture and some other stuff from my house. We do have a cat but the house is smoke-free and the cat doesn't scratch the furniture.
1. Dark brown coffee table with carved legs in great condition. This table is about 2 x 4 feet and very elegant. It has some minor scuffing on the top but is in great condition. It is somewhat french-styled. $45
2. LaZBoy tan fabric recliner. This is in fair condition. No rips, tears, or missing buttons but it has some minor wear and staining. Very, very comfy and no mechanical problems with it. $35
3. Green corduroy loveseat with bronze and wood trim. This is about 5 years old and dusty, it should be vacuumed or cleaned. It does have a tan slipcover I'll be sending with it. It's extremely comfortable but can get hot in warm weather w/out a slipcover. Near-perfect condition other than the dust. $85
4. Twin sized mattress, box springs, and frame. We've kept the mattress in a wrap and it's about 2 years old and in excellent condition. No stains, no bedbugs, etc. The frame is just a little metal one. The mattress is pillowtop. Asking $150 for the entire set.
5. White kid's wooden dresser with colored knobs. This is a small dresser, about 3x3x1 feet, with four drawers, each with a round colored knob. It's got some scratches and dents from my kid using it but it's a cute piece. $10.
6. Small rocking chair with red rose fabric seat. Cute, sturdy, sized for a small adult or large child. $15

We are near the intersection of 1st and Main in Anytown. Please email us to let us know what you are interested in and we'll set up a time for you to come and look. Evenings work best for us. If you want the full list of things we're selling, just ask and I'd be happy to email it to you. Thanks"

Then, use the uploader and add 8 images. If you are selling anything expensive, get a $2 currency testing pen from Office Depot or a similar store to check for fakes. Put the stuff you are selling in one room of the house, and take anything expensive like a nice TV and lock it into another room. Same with anything small and valuable. This is the same stuff you'd do when showing a home; it reduces petty theft and keeps you from being targeted for theft later on.

Get emails back, mark any weird ones as spam/junk, use your new email to set up times to come get stuff. If someone seems demanding, rude, or suspicious, just move on to a different person's response. Good luck!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Why is owning a home important in life?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment