Wednesday, September 25, 2013

What grit sand paper should I use on an old table i want to sand and refinish?

bedroom set ethan allen
 on Ethan Allen Geogorian Series Bedroom Set for Sale for $1,000 for Sale ...
bedroom set ethan allen image



That Guy!


I have an old Ethan Allen table I want to sand and re varnish. What number sand paper(s) are recommended?


Answer
Consider varnish remover rather than just sanding. If you sandpaper you are removing wood-- or part of the furniture -- which you don't want to do. You just want to finish off. You can find these kinds of products at home centers and they work great. You apply them with steel wool. It is very messy -- so you need gloves and tarps, but my wife and I refinished antique bedroom set from her grandparents and it came out amazing. Worked so well I did this on a desk and aquarium stand. Below is a link to the kind of product I mean.

Does anyone now a charity in West Palm, Florida that will pick up furniture that is slghtly damaged?




Laura


It seems crazy, but I have a bedroom set, two nightstands, a mirrir and a dresser that I am trying to give away. The problem is the dresser has a little damage on the bottom that can easily be fixed by purchasing 4 shoe boxes from Home Depot to level it out...otherwise, everythingis in perfect condition. It seems impossible to get a charity to pick up the set because they all want to sell it and want it to be in PERFECT condition....hell if I had no money, I would take it in a heartbeat!!!! Are there any legit charities in the West Palm Area that will pick this set up? Salvation Army is suprisingly enough, not one of those!
Let me clarify this one..it is not crap because only one dresser is damaged and I lived with it for over a year and it was fine...and it is not even bad damage. I know about the shoe boxes because I did it myself. I just don't want to move it because I am relocating out of state. I need some helpful answers. Thanks.



Answer
LOL, I used to live in WPB and the people there are pretty snobby and rich. I'm not surprized no one wants your damaged furniture, no matter how slight.

I remember shopping at some second hand stores run by those rich charity groups, the Junior Womens League, etc. and some of their stuff was as expensive as Ethan Allen.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't want a dresser, even if it was free, that I had to buy boxes for to level it out, LOL.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What grit sand paper should I use on an old table i want to sand and refinish?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment