Wednesday, May 29, 2013

What are the cost invoved in refinishing furniture for DIY. I found a 5 piece Bedroom set that needs.....?

Q. Essentially this is it http://baltimore.craigslist.org/fur/274060101.html

It has nicotine stains all over it and pretty much needs to be refinished. It's not cracked or has any nicks and scratches in it. How time consuming is this. How much money in products would it run about to do this entire set.

A. You would do very well to purchase this set in my opinion. I think the wood is mahogany. I has a stain to enhance and even the color of the wood. The bulk of the cost would be labor, so if you are willing to do the sanding, stripping, etc. you would come out way ahead. I would sand down the finish where I could, and maybe use a commerical stripper to clean up the molding or areas difficult to get to with a sander. you can also use sandpaper affixed to sponge, or sandpaper wrapped around dowel to get into the curved areas.
Depending on the cost of sand paper and associated stuff, spongesanders, etc - It would be very little cost. And, I wouldn't use stain after sanding it. I would simply add a sealer, something like polyurethane, to protect the wood.

All in all I don't think one would spend more than $25 to complete the project.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What are the cost invoved in refinishing furniture for DIY. I found a 5 piece Bedroom set that needs.....?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment