Sunday, May 26, 2013

Is it normal to have bad allergies 2 years after moving?

Q. I am constantly tired and sneezing. My eyes are puffy and sleepy. I moved from Las Vegas, NV to Southeast Ohio and ever since I have been exhausted. I know your body has to get used to different climates but seriously, it's been 2 years now. I feel like I'm a walking zombie. Is this normal for here?
I don't have insurance, cant afford it. I am not eligible for medicaid by $20. I have never had allergies until I moved here.

A. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I have developed severe multiple allergies, and it can sure make life difficult.

If you developed these symptoms some time after moving, that's not really surprising. Your immune system may not react when you are first exposed to an allergen, but after multiple exposures, may begin to react.

In a different part of the country, you may be exposed to pollen from different plants, or it may be mold or dust mite allergies in a more humid area. Can you tell any pattern to when you have symptoms, or when they are worst? Pollen allergies will probably vary with the time of year. Mold and dust allergies can be year-round since the sources are indoors.

If it's a constant problem, my first guess would be the mold/dust possibility. Does your house have any leaks/water drips issues or has it in the past? Does it smell musty? I use a dehumidifier, and my allergist said to keep the humidity at around 40%. 50% or over, and you will have mold.

The thing you can do that would help most is to make your bedroom allergen-free, since that is where a person spends a lot of time. Get a allergy preventing pillow cover, since your face and nose are in close proximity to your pillow for hours. Wash your bedding weekly in hot water. If you can, exclude carpeting, drapes, upholstered furniture, stuffed toys, etc. from the bedroom. Keep clutter of any kind to a minimum. Dust often with a moistened micro-fiber cloth or paper towel so that you pick up dust rather than stirring it up into the air.

Then gradually work on the rest of your house, to eliminate the same allergy sources. My allergist also had me remove all wall-paper, as molds can live behind it.

Using a sinus rinse daily can be a big help too.

If your allergies are seasonal, then it's more likely to be pollen, and that's a whole different set of things you can do.

Good luck with getting this under control!





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Is it normal to have bad allergies 2 years after moving?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment