Saturday, June 21, 2014

Santa Barbara vs. San Diego cost of living?




Elizabeth


Hi I'm going to be a senior this year in high school, and I'm just trying to do some research for college.
I'm pretty set on going to either SB or SD for school. I'm most likely going to go to community college in either of these cities so I don't have to worry about tuition and getting accepted and what not. I have 2 friends that are trying to decide which city to go to also that I would have as roommates, so I was just wondering which city is more expensive to live in? Like 1 or 2 bedroom apartment costs (rent), utility bills, etc. Thanks so much!



Answer
I go to SB, and it is pretty expensive here.
Mostly all students live in Isla Vista (right beside the campus) if they're not at the residence halls.

I am renting a 4-bedroom house with some friends.
We have eight people altogether and our rent cost about $5000 per month.
For my part, I will be paying $600 for the rent, $50 for utilities.

There are cheaper apartments and places, although the range of rent usually is around $600-$800 per month. You might get some good deals where the landlord pays for the utilities.

School apartments are a bit cheaper (starting from $550), but you have to sign up for it early because there's a limited amount.

I want to move to San Diego but will being a radiologic technologist be enough?




Spud


My heart is truly set on San Diego, for I have been there twice in my life. Im 18 from Chicago and I want to become a Radiologic Technologist. Im going to finish school here and I was just wondering how the job market is doing in the San Diego area(specifically medical field)? Also if I found a job there, what would be the cost of living for a nice area? Here's a website that shows how much they make in California.

https://www.asrt.org/media/pdf/research/wss2007/wss07annualcompensation.pdf

Thanks a bunch!
I forgot to add these but if I were to move there I'd move in a 2 bed apartment or condo for rent. probably buy a car out there nothing too fancy yet something to get me around. cost of gas? i'll be single so yeah...
I forgot to add these but if I were to move there I'd move in a 2 bed apartment or condo for rent. probably buy a car out there nothing too fancy yet something to get me around. cost of gas? i'll be single so yeah...



Answer
Husband is an Xray tech, and so far [knock on wood] still has a steady job...we live in L.A. county, which has the highest unemployment in all of California. If you google hospitals in San Diego, you can check the "employment opportunities" and get an idea of the current job availability. Seriously, I don't think you'll have a problem with getting a job and pay for cost of living out here. The only obstacle I can foresee would be your lack of work experience, being a new grad. At the current hospital my husband works, when he was an xray student he did one of his rotations there, and once he graduated they ended up giving him a job, he's been there ever since.

The medical field is not going anywhere unless the world suddenly becomes germ and accident free...true, there have been plenty of layoffs and hiring freezes, but then shortly after those same hospitals will turn around and re-hire newcomers for a lesser pay, which is how they reconfigure the budget.

As far as rentals, well, a lot can change by the time you get out this way... Like I stated we live in LA county, but we visit SD several, and I mean SEVERAL times a year...it's our home away from home... In fact we are heading down there again tomorrow for our little boy's SeaWorld B-day... ...I have seen a 2 bedroom "for rent" for, I think about $1100 (I think) in the Old Town area of San Diego (their historic Mexican village) ...Which, to me, $1100 is VERY good for a 2 bed in So California. I remember when we passed by the rental, I thought "Wow, that's really good for San Diego." ...Also, what if you just get a "studio" apt since it's only you...then once you are more comfortable and get to know the area a little better, you can upgrade to something a little more suitable.. ...and gas prices are about $3.60/gal right now...but it ALWAYS fluctuates, and it also depends on which gas station you stop off at...the stations just off the freeways are always higher in price.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Santa Barbara vs. San Diego cost of living?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment