Friday, June 6, 2014

is this a scam? please answer?




katy :)


i am selling a bedroom set for 600 on craigslist and someone made an offer for 650 because he wants to make sure it is saved for him, he offered to have his mover come pick it up and take it to his new house to surprise his wife, they are on a honeymoon. i said okay and he sent a check to my work address (i gave him it instead of my home). I haven't gotten it yet but i got this email from him today:
Hello,
I want you to understand that the transaction is on as my secretary as mailed the check payment already, but there was a slight error i guess we can handle with care. Instead of the actual amount, $650 for the furniture, she made out the check for $3650. She claimed that was what i requested but she didn't get that straight. So once you have the check, please cash it and deduct the money for the item plus $20 that for your running around expenses. The excess fund should please be sent to my mover via western union, this fund will be used in offsetting the cost of the shipment she as undertaken for me recently. Friday would be good for the pickup.
**Please email me at once to let me know i can trust you to have the excess funds expedited to my mover immediately the same day check is received**

I hope to read back from you very urgently.

Most Sincerely,

Mark.
IS HE SCAMMING ME WHAT DO I DO?



Answer
SCAM-DO NOT DEPOSIT OR CASH THE CHECK!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~
"# NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is a scammer.
# FAKE CASHIER CHECKS & MONEY ORDERS ARE COMMON, and BANKS WILL CASH THEM AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE when the fake is discovered weeks later.

Who should I notify about fraud or scam attempts?

* FTC toll free hotline: 877-FTC-HELP (877-382-4357)
* FTC online complaint form (http://www.ftc.gov)
* Canadian PhoneBusters hotline: 888-495-8501
* Internet Fraud Complaint Center (http://www.ic3.gov)
* Non-emergency number for your local police department.

If you suspect that an item posted for sale on craigslist may be part of a scam, please email the details to "abuse@craigslist.org". Be sure to include the URL (or eight-digit post ID number) in your message.
Recognizing scams

Most scams involve one or more of the following:

* inquiry from someone far away, often in another country
* Western Union, Money Gram, cashier's check, money order, shipping, escrow service, or a "guarantee"
* inability or refusal to meet face-to-face before consumating transaction

Examples of Scams

1. Someone claims that craigslist will guarantee a transaction, certify a buyer/seller, OR claims that craigslist will handle or provide protection for a payment.

* These claims are fraudulent, as craigslist does not have any role in any transaction.
* Scammer will often send an official looking email that appears to come from craigslist, offering a guarantee, certifying a seller, providing payment services -- all such emails are fakes!

2. distant person offers a genuine-looking (but fake) cashier's check

* you receive an email (examples below) offering to buy your item, or rent your apartment, sight unseen.
* cashier's check is offered for your sale item, as a deposit for an apartment, or for just about anything else of value.
* value of cashier's check often far exceeds your item - scammer offers to "trust" you, and asks you to wire the balance via money transfer service
* banks will often cash these fake checks AND THEN HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE WHEN THE CHECK FAILS TO CLEAR, including criminal prosecution in some cases!
* scam often involves a 3rd party (shipping agent, business associate owing buyer money, etc)

3. Someone requests wire service payment via Western Union or MoneyGram:

* Scam "bait" items include apartments, laptops, plasma TVs, cell phones, tickets - but could be almost anything
* Often claim that an MTCN or confirmation code is needed before he can withdraw your money - this is FALSE, once you've wired money, it is GONE.
* Common countries currently include: Nigeria, Romania, United Kingdom, Ukraine, Spain, Italy, Netherlands - but could be anywhere
* Apartment listing may be local, but landlord/owner is "travelling" or "relocating" and needs you to wire money to them abroad
* Deal often seems too good to be true, price is too low, rent is below market, etc

4. distant person offers to send you a money order and then have you wire money:

* this is ALWAYS a scam, in our experience - the cashier's check is FAKE
* sometimes accompanies an offer of merchandise, sometimes not
* scammer often asks for your name, address, etc for printing on the fake check
* deal often seems too good to be true"

"actual scam emails sent to craigslist sellers

Hello ,
Thanks for your mail back concerning the inquiry mail i sent to you. The price,condition also the pics i viewed is okay by me .And my client confirm there is no problem about the price($975 ) ,my client do pays with a {USA}cashier check,he has agreed to mail out as bank cashiers check of
$3500. to you on my behalf to cover the shippment fees.About the shippment, that we be taken care by my me & my personal assistant,my personal assistant will be using his shipper to do the quick processing of the shipping of
the(1987 Toyota Celica) to my client.
So all you are to do after you will received the check in your mail,
Just take out your sale amount and refer the remaining money to my shipper
immediately through the westernunion or the money gramm outlet so to get the
money fast and start the fast arrangement for the pickup of the
(1987 Toyota Celica).Since you are the original owner of this item,and i
am buying the item directly from you i will like you to write your full name
to be on the check,with the mailing address which my client will be using
to issued out the check to you.I do wish to trust you by refering the rest
balance back to my shipper and also your fast doing to this transaction.
I will like to hear fromyou if this is okay by you and you are ready to
process ,if you aready to sale your item and promise refering the rest
balance to my shipper immediately you received the check so can start the
quick arrangement for the pickup. Any body that want to buy this item
this item just tell therm that it as been sold. I will like to copmplete
this transaction befor the new year. I be at my computer waiting to see
your epky to my payment method mailed.
THANKS AND MAIL ME BACK WITH YOUR DETAIL AS SOON AS POSSIBLE."
- http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

Rich people - How do you feel about yourselves?




Sunny McBu


Also, how's it feel being rich? How do you feel your life is different than the majority's?
This isn't a religious question, nor do I want religion shoved down my throat. This is a question about money.
Ok. Let's go with top 15%.



Answer
Everyone's definition of "rich" is different.

To be clear, I consider my self very fortunate and am just trying to answer this question to the best of my ability.

My father is an entrepreneur (is a very self-made man considering he grew up on the streets of NYC) and my family owned 2 private jets, 2 boats, 3 houses (all with more than 6 bedrooms), several luxury cars, a limo, employed chef, employed house manager, and a full-time employed housekeeper at the peak of his businesses (this was maybe one or two years ago).

Assuming I meet your definition of "rich" than I feel like everyone else I know. I go to an all-girls private school -- one of the top schools in the country -- and I study 3 languages as well as do over 100 hours of community service yearly. Every person I know attends a private school and is into the same sports as I am.

I feel like my life is not different than the majority's lives because although I have had the oppurtunity to go to 10 of the 16 (used to be 17 until Le Bec Fin became casual) five star restaurants in the United States and have visited France, Italy, Nevus, Bora Bora, and the Caribbean (to name but a few), my life is not all easy.

I have a 6-figure trust fund to fall back on when I am 25 years old but I still work hard for my shopping money. I babysit, I do chores around the house, I help my community a lot, and I try to be as social as society allows a 13 year old. I have several designer purses, shoes, sunglasses, and other accessories but I still have to put up with my annoying parents: the same as the rest of the world.

What sets me apart from anyone else I know is that my dad has been charged with several white-collar crimes and one of his largest companies (worth $400 million) went bankrupt not long after my 8th birthday and now I have to put up with newspaper reporters calling my house (so our 4 phone lines are often busy), various people knocking on our door for interviews, and then I have to deal with the public humiliation that comes with this press attention.

I am no celebrity world-wide, but in my community my family is of very high status and the press says very very nasty things which no ordinary 13 year old girl should ever have to deal with.

You have to understand that although my IQ is among the top 0.5% and although my family's wealth exceeds beyond the top 5%, I do have a lot to deal with.

It's funny, I've always wanted an "average" life style with loving parents (I was raised mostly by nannies) and no involvement in the business world (my brothers and I already have a 1/4 share in over 10 companies and we are all under 18 years old, plus I signed my first $200 million contract in first grade at 6 years old). Whereas most people want an Upper Class life, the "American Dream" as some refer to it as.

I say my life feels different -- yeah. It feels good sometimes be wealthy -- of course. But at the end of the day, I just want shelter, food, and love. Anywhere my life goes as long as I have someone to love me, food to keep me warm and healthy, and shelter over my head I will be happy.

I know a lot for a 13 year old. A lot of people say I have grown up too quickly because of the pressure put on me.

-Catherine

Edit: To the person who said wealthy people never do anything for the community is 100% UNTRUE! My mom is a philanthropists which means she gives away money as her job to organizations. We are just ordinary people. My dad is sitting in his office downstairs right this second in a Nike tracksuit because he works out every morning at our gym. My mom is in her bathrobe in one of her closets probably picking out cloths to wear.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: is this a scam? please answer?
Rating: 94% based on 1258 ratings. 4,3 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment